1940something 45" flathead from Arizona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940something 45" flathead from Arizona

I just did my intro yesterday on the welcome part of the forum, and now im here ready to get this thing going. The back story on this bike is a little goofy, and i thought i might have made a bad investment for a while, but the journey has been worth it so far.

Ive been tinkering with an idea ive had for some time in building a frame for my evo soportster for a couple years( due to no time, no money, no access to tools, very steep learning curve....etc) and its been really rough. Im still messing around with it , although just hung up with my machinist at the moment and getting fairly close enough to wrap it up. But while trying to figure that out i knew id also like to have an older bike in which custom fab was absolutely no part of it(the sportster is very fab intensive).

So eventually i started saving. Tucson is a big bicycling community, and i rode my bicycle exclusively for two years, which gave me pretty good odds of getting ran over by a car, which happened, and that gave me a little more money...I was planning on doing some sort of investing with what i had saved up but about 4 or 5 months later i ended uo getting really sick while walking my dog a couple miles from home and ended up completely shitting my pants. There was no way around it, and i walked a long walk home. I felt that warranted a coulpe drinks and by 8pm or so i was feeling alot "better". In fact i got really better that night...

Now to say that i was not hip on older bikes would be an overstatement...but somehow i figured i knew enough about 45's that night. I ended up seeing a 45 get posted up on the internet and i thought, **** it, i want it, lets roll the dice and jump on a new adventure. At the least i figured i could enjoy it untill my other bike gets finished, because i have been waiting a long time for that one to be done, but that was well into a drunken stupor and i didnt realize i bought a shitbox.

Next month my bike shows up and over the next year i have been reading everything i can and swapping and buying and meeting people and really soaking everything 45s up. Ive collected almost all original parts and am going for a 41-46 bike. I would really like to dial in a specific year and have a 1940 something specific bike, but am in the works on that.

the bike i bought was full of aftermarket crap(and was in not the best condition) , and most of that is gone. Some of the stock stuff has been traded too, and come to think ofnit, i dont really have much of anything i bought in the first place.But i have a restamped vin 42wla motor, and am kinda sketched out by it. I might be on the hunt for new cases, or maybe a new motor,.. im not sure how to go about it.

Thats my story so far and now im really ramping up on rolling on this build. Ill be asking a ton of questions soon , but as for now just my backstory and some photos of what parts ive got now. Thanks!
    Last edited by Taylorfromtucson; 02-03-2022, 07:57 PM.

Heres a couple pics of parts i have. I picked uo some wartime floorboards last week and a monroe absorber. My parts are all over the place year wise, but i figure once i settle on what i want ill be ok, and havent missed a deal on something i could end up using. Id like to build the bike around the look of the dash and tanks into a stockish cut down look with as much old oem parts as possible. Patina seems like a word thats been beat to hell lately, but patina build is what its gonna be.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Funny story Taylor. We all start somewhere and you are into the deep end now. I have an extra 45 lower end with good numbers however they are WLA as well but OK for a bobber/period custom bike. Also a set of 52WLA cases if either would help. I've played with 45s for over 50 years and had lots of fun with them. Mostly Big Twins though. Lots of info on here to help you so feel free to ask anything. My first H-D was a 45 when I was 15.
      Robbie 45.jpg
      Last edited by Rubone; 02-03-2022, 06:37 PM.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Taylor
        Good history. I had a 1970 servi-car/trike that I toyed with the idea of making into a solo. Never did but really enjoyed that trike.
        If you haven't done it already; access the AMCA Library maybe more good reading on 45s there and free to download for members.
        Also may want to check out your local Chapter:

#41 Phoenix Road Runner
        Phoenix, AZ 85001
        Contact
        Ron Houser
        President
        602-723-8136
        bikerron@centurylink.net
        More Info
        Web Site: PhoenixroadrunnersAMCA.com
        Web Page: Phoenix Road Runner Home

Good Luck and Keep Posting.

Comment

Yes, am working on joining the phoenix chapter!

Since im not sure what my motor situation is, wheels seemed like a good place to start. Turns out my rear hub was drilled out for half inch(!) bolts, so i found another from cj the Linkert Guy in phoenix. Before i go ahead with this one, i have some questions...

1. Thoughts on smoothing out the brake surface? I cleaned and a little scrub with a steel wool ball for dishes, but should i go a little further...will brake pads wear more with some rust pitting?

2.i looked around a bit and i see the speedo gear listed separately on some websites, but I don't see it anywhere for sale. Is mine good enough to use, or should i replace?

3.ive heard about dipping parts in hot oil to preserve patina... how is this done and does anyone have experience? Ive been rubbing everything i finish with a light dw40 sprayed rag. Does this work for paint, or just rusty surfaces? Im totally open to cooking up oil and rubbing all my visible surfaces down, but ive only heard of wd40 and boiled linseed oil...which ive heard can get sticky....i live in a desert.

4. Any machinists out there interested in my overdrilled hub? I dont even knownif the last clown drilled it perfectly center so i dont even think heli coils would work. Why would someone do this?

the X is my drilled hub gear and the NEW is the one i just got in the oics
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

The sprocket shown in that picture looks like it has reached the end of a long and well used life. Good luck with your project, It'll be a lot of fun and quite rewarding. Smitty

Comment

Originally posted by Taylorfromtucson View Post
              Yes, am working on joining the phoenix chapter!

Since im not sure what my motor situation is, wheels seemed like a good place to start. Turns out my rear hub was drilled out for half inch(!) bolts, so i found another from cj the Linkert Guy in phoenix. Before i go ahead with this one, i have some questions...

1. Thoughts on smoothing out the brake surface? I cleaned and a little scrub with a steel wool ball for dishes, but should i go a little further...will brake pads wear more with some rust pitting?

2.i looked around a bit and i see the speedo gear listed separately on some websites, but I don't see it anywhere for sale. Is mine good enough to use, or should i replace?

3.ive heard about dipping parts in hot oil to preserve patina... how is this done and does anyone have experience? Ive been rubbing everything i finish with a light dw40 sprayed rag. Does this work for paint, or just rusty surfaces? Im totally open to cooking up oil and rubbing all my visible surfaces down, but ive only heard of wd40 and boiled linseed oil...which ive heard can get sticky....i live in a desert.

4. Any machinists out there interested in my overdrilled hub? I dont even knownif the last clown drilled it perfectly center so i dont even think heli coils would work. Why would someone do this?

the X is my drilled hub gear and the NEW is the one i just got in the oics
              H-D sold 1/2" thread lug bolts for drums with stripped 3/8 holes.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Respect 45 rear drums and don't throw them away too quick, good ones are hard to find. They are worth repairing and saving IMO.
                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Two weekends ago i ended up doing alotta research for trying to identify some wla tanks i had for sale, and found out the other tanks i had(41-46 tanks from first post) were 45/46 oil and 41 only gas. Also in my going over the palmers book again, i found out i have mostly on the later end of 41-46 parts, so now i thinkin im dialed in to building what will be really close to a 1946 wl.

In searching through internet pictures i came across these 45/46 tanks so i bought them. They also had an unchromed shift lever and the correct shift gate too. one of the badges is steel and the other is chromed brass...sonif anyone has one of those laying around i would be willing to work out trading or selling another set i have that are the chromed ones that look brand new(they have the g stamp).

Is there anything i can rub on these tanks to preserve the surface? Ive heard about boiled linseed oil, but what do yall use?

I am waiting(its been a while) on a call back from a guy in phoenix on 46 cases and/or other i parts, but if anyone has anything out there 1946 im very interested...i also have stuff to trade.

Last question...under the stainless trim its real rusty and i want to squirtbsome kind of oil or protectant under there, but i dont want to damage the trim,l... whats the easyest way to get them off...they are really hugging the mounts?
                  This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Is there anything i can rub on these tanks to preserve the surface? Ive heard about boiled linseed oil, but what do yall use?
                    Mayonnaise, Taylor!

,,,,Cotten
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

1. i thought mayo is good for removing paint??

Comment

1. i thought mayo is good for removing paint??
                        Its not a joke, Taylor,...

Honest.

If the paint comes off, it would have anyway.

.....Cotten
                        PS: It used to be that S.C. Johnson Lemon Pledge was fantastic. Nothing stays the same, even with a legendary provider.
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-22-2022, 09:59 PM.
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

A little bit of an update... Finally tracked down a 46wl with a 39xx vin, so now I know what details I will need to have a mid year 46 45". There was three distinct detail groupings with the 46, now that that war was over and gearing back from war time production board regulations on finishes... Chrome shift gate, chrome lever, painted steel tank emblems, etc... Floorboards are riveted back on and banged out straight, and I ended up welding the wallowed out stud holes to the studs so I didn't have to build the hole up and re drill it...it looks good and way less work for me. My Flanders bars are almost good to go. I bought bars from Jacksuns for their amazing fake patina work, which I really like, but I had to grind out the weld seam on the inside of where the plungers go, they also drilled and tapped the holes for the horn wrong(unless I have two really messed up aftermarket horn button assemblies). I don't know how exactly to fix the one hole on the horn, I have a mig welder and I don't want to destroy the finish on the bars but I don't want to deal with porosity. I also just ordered wire harness from Debby Palmer (from mutt(?)), which I hear is really well done. And finally put together my dash base. In the picture I have that crusty chrome early style dash, and was wondering if anyone wanted to trade for a late on in similar finish. I have another late style cat eye, but it is not the finish I want...so I have two to trade for the right dash for this project. If anyone wants to sell or swap with me for stuff let me know. I have tranny's , a frame, and lots of other stuff, but I only want to trade for 1946 stuff...although there are somethings I would like to get rid of

Comment

This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

What carb are you planning to put on that manifold?
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X