47 Chief Build in Eastern Washington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 Chief Build in Eastern Washington

These are a some of the pictures of what will eventually be a 47 Chief. The frame needed a bit of attention. It was professionallly straightened and repaired. I need to remove this motor to take or ship to the southern California area for tear down and rebuild. Looking for a member who lives in the Eastern WA area, who would be willing and has some time to spare, to give a hand pulling this motor. Thanks.
    Attached Files

I can't help you with the motor extraction since I'm in Central IL. However, I'd recommend removing the heads before attempting to remove the engine. This will greatly facilitate engine removal and minimize damaging the finish on the frame.

Good luck on both your Chief projects. It looks like you do very nice work!

Steve Slaminko

Comment

Thanks for reading my post and your advise. I don't have a problem with taking the heads off, except for that rear cylinder bolt that's just below the trame tube where spacing is tight. That bolt is a challenge to get a removal tool on. What are you using to got that bolt out without fin damage?
      Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by gkpjxb View Post
        that rear cylinder bolt that's just below the trame tube where spacing is tight. That bolt is a challenge to get a removal tool on. What are you using to got that bolt out without fin damage?
        Kevin
        Kevin, a deep offset box wrench is what I use to break it free and to torque that one, but that headbolt won't come all the way out while the engine is in the frame so I pull it out as far as it will go and slide the head off. I think the front one under the frame is more difficult!
        Last edited by pisten-bully; 10-09-2018, 08:22 PM.
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Yeah that bolt (and a few of the others) is difficult to remove with the engine in the frame. A friend of mine modified wrenches and sockets by cutting, bending, welding, etc for "relatively" easy removal. I'll see if I can get some pictures of his "special" tools. He's in the middle of harvest so it might be some time before I can get with him.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I solved the bolt removal problem. I found a 5/8" socket, in my tools, that had been machined about half way down with flats to mirror a bolt head, on which a 5/8' wrench fits. Was able to slip that cut down socket on the rear cylinder head bolt and loosen using a 5/8' box end wrench. Used the same socket with a universal joint for the front cylinder bolt. Life is good, all the bolts are loose. Still would be interesterd in seeing those "special tools". Lots of good ideas out there to make life easier.
            Kevin

Comment

I was going to post mine, Kevin!

But it would be a picture of a wall full.

(A pic of my torch and grinder would make more sense.)

Choose tools that make more tools.

....Cotten
              Attached Files
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

If you can't find any help for pulling the motor; you can lay the assembly down on its right side, (on a blanket) and lift the frame off the motor/trans unit. Of course you have to do a lot of prep on the frame tubes to prevent scuffing, and scratching. I have used leather scraps to wrap, (and tape) around the tubes and found it to be excellent protection. It's extra work, but better than 4 months with a chiropractor, and a bad back.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for the pic and reply.
                  Kevin

Comment

I'm with you there. Already have lower back issues. I have some old inner tubes cut to pieces I've used for frame wrapping.
                    Kevin

Comment

Kevin, the last Chief motor I took out myself whupped my ass. I've said I wouldn't do that again, but I took out, and re-installed a J motor recently, and will be taking out a Honda twin motor this week. I do try to use my head, and minimize the animal grunt work, but these things are heavy, and awkward and another person can often, just be in the way. . . Now, if that other person was Lou Ferrigno, that wouldn't be a problem
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

All done. Removed the motor.

Comment

Working...
                        X