1920 Harley Model F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I shall be off-line all weekend as well, John,

Really looking forward to the Davenport Meet showing of the Indian Wrecking Crew documentary: http://www.chiefblackhawk.org/
    I'm usually not a "fan boy", but I think I shall print out jpegs of Bill Tuman and Bobby Hill for autographs and framing upon the shop wall.
    After all, its a once in a life-time opportunity: Our fuses are lit.

....Cotten
    PS: But there better be free popcorn.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-30-2016, 05:06 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• Re: 1920 "F" Project

Here are a couple of updates on stuff I have done but didnt post about.

Remember I wrote in an early post about my seat. Well I sent it to a leather guy who I asked if he could save it. he did his best and it is OK for now. I gave him a free hand to do whatever was needed to save it, in hindsight I think I should have done it myself because I would have done some things differently but I cant complain because the seat now has some life in it wheras before it was knackered.

John

Comment

Also the old numberplate was too far gone to be legal. In the UK there are strict laws on plates after certain dates but for a vehicle of this age it just has to be as per the original. First I did some vinyl letters but they looked horrible. Then I tried hand painting them myself and it looked like a four year old had done it. So I took it to a proper sign writer and asked him to copy the old plate. Here it is:

Old Plate

With vinyl letters

Hand painted

Also here is a close up of one of the letters. You can see that it is hand written and it looks great.

Also, the rules on a vehicle this age say that it has to have an audible warning device. I.e. a horn. No rules about lights but I must have a horn so I bought a Klaxon and fitted it.

Here is the bike earlier today. I have been trying to make the right hand tank look old. It is coming on but not quite there yet.

John

Comment

• Absolutely breathtaking. Good luck with this beautiful machine!

Comment

• I am most impressed with your resurrection of the seat, John. I had the same style Messinger a few years ago, and it was in the same condition as yours. I wanted to use the seat, but I knew it would only get worse if not reinforced. My older brother mentioned that he had repaired his running shoes with the stuff called "Shoe Glue", and said it worked great. I got some at Walmart, and it claimed it would work on leather. I followed the instructions, and made leather backing patches for the torn areas. It worked beyond my expectations and made the seat usable. Very sticky stuff, but stays just slightly pliable.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

• Eric!

I, too, have used Eclectic's "Shoe-Goo" to tremendous advantage. One vintage aftermarket skirt on a Chummee would have disintegrated without a coat of "backing".
              Anything for a 'Last Hurrah''; "Restoration" kisses the sweetest part of History goodbye.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

• Yeah! That's the stuff; Shoe Goo.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks Eric.

I wanted to try to keep the original seat if possible. It would have been all too easy to buy a reproduction seat but it would not be the same, I am sure you understand what I mean.

I decided to send it to this guy. His website is worth a visit and he has a few videos on youtube of him repairing old leather.

Like I said above, if I were to do it again I would do it myself but time and lack of experience of leather working pushed me in the direction of sending it out.

John

Comment

Well I got back yesterday and had a look at the air valve (more on that later) I established that the spring is a bit strong so I backed the tension off and thought i would have a go at starting it. I turned the fuel on and it was like I had a disconnected fuel pipe.

So I have either a bit of muck in the float valve or the new knock-off float is not floating any more. I fear the latter.

So the plan is to go to the paint store on Monday and buy some iso-cyanate clear coat and seal the original cork float and see if we can get this thing running whilst also keeping the petrol inside it.

So I decided to give the H-D a break and on Sunday morning I rearranged my workshop

Then I did some minor tinkering.

I had an annoying oil leak that needed the engine in bits to sort.I had hoped to have it back together in the day but a stupid error by me put me back a bit so I will finish it in the morning. This is as far as I got by dinner time.

I know this is not the 20F as per the title of this thread but like I said I needed a break.

John

Comment

• Originally posted by TechNoir View Post
                      Well I got back yesterday and had a look at the air valve (more on that later) I established that the spring is a bit strong so I backed the tension off and thought i would have a go at starting it. I turned the fuel on and it was like I had a disconnected fuel pipe.

So I have either a bit of muck in the float valve or the new knock-off float is not floating any more. I fear the latter.

So the plan is to go to the paint store on Monday and buy some iso-cyanate clear coat and seal the original cork float and see if we can get this thing running whilst also keeping the petrol inside it...
                      John
                      Golly John,

I could have saved you a whole lot of trouble, and trial-and-error to find the sweet spot level for a heavier, 'sealed' float, and its extra expense for the sealer, if you would only let me.

Postage for my float is only $13.50, but if you are having fun, go for it!

....Cotten
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-04-2016, 04:49 PM.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

• When I saw 1st pics your sunk float, I thought, "better get Tom's."

On another note, John, I want your lathe.......
                        Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
                        https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

• Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                          Golly John,

I could have saved you a whole lot of trouble, and trial-and-error to find the sweet spot level for a heavier, 'sealed' float, and its extra expense for the sealer, if you would only let me.

Postage for my float is only $13.50, but if you are having fun, go for it!

....Cotten

Tom, I have sent you a pm.

Originally posted by Steve Swan View Post
                          When I saw 1st pics your sunk float, I thought, "better get Tom's."

On another note, John, I want your lathe.......

Steve, I love my lathe. It is an early version of a Harrison lathe. Harrisons were sold in the USA under the "Clearing" name. Mine is about 60 years old which is fine for cutting inch threads but I could do with a later model with the dual metric and inch capability at the flick of a lever rather than messing about with a 127 tooth change wheel.

It is built like a tank and despite its 60 odd years is accurate enough for my needs. I could never be without a lathe.

JOhn

Comment

• A new float arrived from Cotten and after work tonight I had a bit of time so had a look at things. As promised it is less than half the weight of the knock-off at 3 grams vs 7 grams.

The fuel level is much lower down the float than the knock-off.

I put the bike back together and after a few tries got the bike started and no leaky carb.

The bike is still tricky to start but that might be down to the spring tension on the air valve. I need to look at that but before I do I am going to see how it goes with the adjuster backed right off. It was starting to get dark by the time the bike was back together so with no lights I wasn’t going to take it out.

At the first opportunity I will spend some time dialing it in and report back.

John

Comment

• John!

There are always other worms in the can.

Since its been such a long discussion, I must ask, again perhaps,...

Did you bubble-test your manifold assembly?

Carbs are forgiving. Manifolds are not.

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776

Comment

• Cotten, thats a good point and one that had slipped my mind this evening in my haste to compare your new float with my old new float.

Before I do anything else I will bubble test the manifold.

John

Comment

Working...
                                X