Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great stuff, keep it coming !

Comment

• A five minute video of the start of day 3 of the 2016 Motorcycle Cannonball. Leaving from the Fairfield Inn in Morgantown, WV, taking a quick parade lap through the Cracker Barrel parking lot, and riding out of Morgantown.

Kevin

Kevin
      https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

• Good stuff Kevin, how fast were you going at the end, seems like 70 but I know better.
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Nice! Just like being there! Dale

Comment

• Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
            Good stuff Kevin, how fast were you going at the end, seems like 70 but I know better.
            Probably more like 50 Bob.

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

• Here are some pictures of the bikes on the boardwalk. The first one is my favorite Cannonball picture. It's of me in the middle, my good friend Paul to my right, and my lovely wife Brenda to my left. We made a good team. The rest pictures are of the Cannonball bikes on the boardwalk, just before the start of stage 1.

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

• This is a fun little video that happened because I forgot to turn off my GoPro when I stopped for gas somewhere in West Virginia. 2016 Cannonball, day 3.

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

• On day two we ended up at Triple S Harley Davidson in West Virginia. Earlier in the day I was on the side of the road for and hour and a half when the bike died while climbing up a mountain. The exhaust valves had stuck in the guides. Once the engine cooled down I managed to work the guides loose and get the front cylinder running enough to bring me in. Patience was also having trouble getting into third gear and sometimes wouldn't go into first. In fact, the driveway into the dealership was a steep hill and when I went to downshift the transmission wouldn't go into gear at all. There was a small crowd of people at the bottom of the driveway watching the bikes come in. They saw me there, within mere yards of the finish line, but dead in the water. As they watched intently I struggled with the shifter for a bit, then I got off the bike holding the front brake with one hand because I was on a steep hill. I took a screwdriver out of my pocket and managed to use it to pry the linkage into gear. The crowd stood up and cheered as I mounted the machine and motored up the hill towards the finish.

Here are some pictures at Triple S Harley Davidson. They let me use their shop to work on the bike, We were there until 2:00 a.m.

Not a very good picture, but the rear exhaust valve was burnt, probably because it stuck in the guide:

I had two new exhaust valves in the van, so after honing out the guides with some emery cloth, I lapped in a new exhaust valve by hand.

We left the shop at around 2:00 a.m. but there was still a lot going on in the shop:

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

• Just a quick 40 second video of riding with some of my friends. 2016 Motorcycle Cannonball, day 4, somewhere in Indiana or Ohio.

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

• sure enjoying your sharing this with us. thank you and congrats on a great adventure. gary
                      gww57.com

Comment

• This video is kind of long, but it was such a nice ride on lovely Indiana roads in beautiful weather, that I decided not to edit it. The first 6 minutes or so is just me riding my 100 year old motorcycle on narrow asphalt roads that are shrouded in green. If you get bored with that, skip ahead to about 6:30, that's where the road turns to gravel and I catch up with the Rinker clan and Ziggy. I follow them for a while. At about 9 minutes into the video the road goes back to paved and I come up behind Dean Bordigioni and follow him for a while. This is how motorcycle riding should be. It doesn't get any better. September the 13th, day four of the 2016 Motorcycle Cannonball.

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

• Great stuff Kevin, your bike sounds wonderful. I watched full screen on a 24" monitor! I live in SW OH and ride on roads like this all the time, here and in IN, just like it should be on an old bike. I have some friends that live on the east coast of FL and never leave the state, I try to explain to them these roads and they don't comprehend. Sometimes, just like in your video, you hardly pass any cars. Thanks for the video.
                          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Thanks

Kevin,

I wanted to extend a sincere thank you for your thorough and detailed postings. I have been watching and reading and saving the posts for reference as I am rebuilding a 1920 Powerplus board track racer. Your thread is is a wealth of information. Many thanks.

1916 Indian right.jpg
                            Shawn

Comment

• Originally posted by McLean Motors View Post
                              Kevin,

I wanted to extend a sincere thank you for your thorough and detailed postings. I have been watching and reading and saving the posts for reference as I am rebuilding a 1920 Powerplus board track racer. Your thread is is a wealth of information. Many thanks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18806[/ATTACH]
                              Shawn
                              My pleasure Shawn. Glad you are finding it useful. That's a nice looking project you have there. Are you going to use the pedals, or the transmission?

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaky Jake View Post
                                My pleasure Shawn. Glad you are finding it useful. That's a nice looking project you have there. Are you going to use the pedals, or the transmission?

Kevin

I know it's not in the true spirit of being a board track racer, but my plan is to use the 3 spead transmission and the rear brake. Besides, I'm missing a couple pieces for the pedal set up and with 3 partial clutches I have enough to build one good clutch to go with the tranny. Part of my problem with this bike is sometimes I know I'm missing pieces but I don't know exactly what I'm missing. Like you, I went with Arias custom pistons. My cylinders are basically done and my magneto is done. Right now I'm working on the bottom end of the motor and starting on the clutch.

All the best,
                                Shawn

Comment

Working...
                                X