• Show
Clear All

• Steve Swan
    replied
    Bravissimo !

Leave a comment:

• painterdale
    replied
    Hot Damn! Congratulations! Sounds great. Sure got the attention of the cats, too. Dale

Leave a comment:

• Shaky Jake
    replied
    You guys CRACK ME UP. Keep guessing. I promise I'll fill you in in a later post, but for now I'm feeling the need to skip ahead to what happened this afternoon:

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• pisten-bully
    replied
    Through the tank rod for that fancy-schmancy Hendee Extended Range Tank?

Leave a comment:

• frichie68
    replied
    Manual afterburner igniter.

Leave a comment:

• BigLakeBob
    replied
    A spring loaded detent, what for I don't know? But to continue the humorous theme, maybe to put under your seat so when you hit a bump it releases and checks your butt numbness!

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    No No... it's a wooden bench!

Leave a comment:

• painterdale
    replied
    Originally posted by Shaky Jake View Post
    I made this today, for the Indian. Anybody want to guess what it is?

Kevin

I think it's a Sharpie. Dale

Leave a comment:

• painterdale
    replied
    Very nice. They will look good on the bike! Dale

Leave a comment:

• TechNoir
    replied
    Originally posted by Shaky Jake View Post
    These came yesterday.
    How exciting!

Also, I bet that makes it suddenly seem very "real" if you get what I mean.

John

Leave a comment:

• Shaky Jake
    replied
    These came yesterday.

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• EricOlson
    replied
    An Indian peace pipe?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Shaky Jake
    replied
    Quiz

I made this today, for the Indian. Anybody want to guess what it is?

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• Shaky Jake
    replied
    The gas tank mounts to the frame with these little nickel plated clamps. Someone told me once that they originally had a piece of leather under them that was sort of shaped like the Chevy bow-tie emblem, but rounded on the ends. I've never seen one, but I cut out a cardboard template based on that description and what I think they may have looked like:

I cut some out of a piece of leather and punched holes for the screws to go through:

The cuts around the outside aren't as smooth as they should be, but I figure once they get oily and dirty, they'll look fine:

The other thing that worried me was the bottom of the tabk wearing against the top of the shifter, where it clamps to the frame. I decided to glue a piece of leather to the top of the clamp, but the piece of leather I'd bought for the bow-ties was a little too thick to fit in that location. I have a stash of old left-hand leather gloves, because my right hand (chain-saw hand) glove always wears out first. The glove leather was just the right thickness, so I cut a chunk out of one and glued it to the shifter clamp with Barge Cement:

Before I installed the tank and clamps, I wrapped the frame with friction tape in those locations, to isolate the clamps from the frame tube. That would be a typical 'period' thing to do. the extra pieces of friction tape are for the auxiliary gas tank, which will be mounted there at a later time:

Little by little...

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• Shaky Jake
    replied
    Thanks for all the compliments on the paint. I'll tell you that the tank turned out way better than I ever expected. The whole time I was doing it I was saying to myself "I'll just do this, how bad can it be?" Then, when I took it out and saw it in the sun, I just sat there on the deck with a big cigar and a scotch, and I just looked at it and laughed for a long time.

Kevin

Leave a comment:

Working...
X