No announcement yet.

Powerplus or Bust, Eh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin, seats are a lot of work, but like you said, they are important. I just finished getting the seat on my '16J sorted out which is an issue that been bugging me for quite awhile. I like your tail light. What wording is stamped into the bucket?
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

• Originally posted by exeric View Post
      Kevin, seats are a lot of work, but like you said, they are important. I just finished getting the seat on my '16J sorted out which is an issue that been bugging me for quite awhile. I like your tail light. What wording is stamped into the bucket?

Kevin

Kevin
      https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

• Thank you Kevin; I'm on the prowl for a tail light. Love what you're doing with the PowerPlus, and very impressed with your progress.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

• Originally posted by exeric View Post
          Thank you Kevin; I'm on the prowl for a tail light. Love what you're doing with the PowerPlus, and very impressed with your progress.
          Thanks Eric.

If that's the Tail Light you want, Ziggy probably has more.

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

• Rear Springs

There are supposed to be 7 rear leaf springs on each side, as you can see, mine only had 5:

Seeing as how my pre-CB16 diet isn't working out the way I had hoped, I probably ought to have all 7. They aren't as easy to come by as you would think. I needed the two shortest (top) ones on each side. ZOC had the two short ones, and two other longer ones which I cut down with a plasma arc cutter and reshaped with a side grinder:

Rattle canned them with some rustoleum and scratched them up a little so they would match. Good enough:

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

• Kevin,

I love this project, well done so far, I look forward to seeing the finished bike.

John

Comment

• Re: Rear Light

Kevin, I will be interested to see how the rear light works out. My 1920 HD has no lights and whilst there is no legal obligation in the UK for me to fit any I do want to fit a brake light as a minimum.

I am assuming that you will be fitting a brake light to yours so I was wondering if you have thought of how to mount the brake light switch and also what type of switch?

I played around with a few types on my 1939 5T and in the end I went with a pattern one for a 1980's Japanese bike because it was a much better solution than the other ones that I had tried that were supposed to be for old British bikes.

The pattern light you have looks to be a good one, I will have to find something similar for mine.

Re your comment "I guess we can call it a period mod". If you had a bike from new in, say, the mid teens and kept it for a good few years then of course you would add things like electric lights when they became more commonly fitted to bikes from the factory.

John

Comment

• Originally posted by TechNoir View Post
                  Kevin, I will be interested to see how the rear light works out. My 1920 HD has no lights and whilst there is no legal obligation in the UK for me to fit any I do want to fit a brake light as a minimum.

I am assuming that you will be fitting a brake light to yours so I was wondering if you have thought of how to mount the brake light switch and also what type of switch?

I played around with a few types on my 1939 5T and in the end I went with a pattern one for a 1980's Japanese bike because it was a much better solution than the other ones that I had tried that were supposed to be for old British bikes.

The pattern light you have looks to be a good one, I will have to find something similar for mine.

Re your comment "I guess we can call it a period mod". If you had a bike from new in, say, the mid teens and kept it for a good few years then of course you would add things like electric lights when they became more commonly fitted to bikes from the factory.

John

As will I. I've not yet decided whether I'll modify this one for a dual filament bulb, or add a separate brake light. Probably the later. I have a couple of aftermarket brake light switches from past projects, I'm not sure what I'll end up using. If you have any good suggestions, let me know.

I got the tail light from Ziggy of Washington. He may have more. If you want his contact info, just let me know.

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaky Jake View Post
                    As will I. I've not yet decided whether I'll modify this one for a dual filament bulb, or add a separate brake light. Probably the later. I have a couple of aftermarket brake light switches from past projects, I'm not sure what I'll end up using. If you have any good suggestions, let me know.

I got the tail light from Ziggy of Washington. He may have more. If you want his contact info, just let me know.

Kevin

Kevin,

I tried various switches and has found that the best so far is a universal Japanese item for Honda's, Yamaha's etc. I made a bespoke bracket and it is less obvious and much neater than the universal "vintage" switches that I have tried. In the future I might play about with a micro-switch from the front brake on a Japanese bike.

If you are using repro parts then, if they are not too expensive, you could experiment with 2 lights one dual filament and one single?

I found Ziggy online and will check him out when I come to thinking about lights for the Harley.

John

Comment

• Originally posted by TechNoir View Post
                      Kevin,

If you are using repro parts then, if they are not too expensive, you could experiment with 2 lights one dual filament and one single?

John
                      If I don't use a single two filament light, I would probably use two totally different lights, on for the tail light and one for the stop light.

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

• Shifter and hand clutch lever

When I got the Indian it didn't have any of the controls. I got lucky enough to find an original shifter quadrant and linkages at a swap meet, and a repro clutch lever. This is what they look like mounted on the bike. The shifter quadrant is on the right hand side of the gas tank, and the hand clutch lever is just in front of that. The clutch lever acts as kind of an adjustable stop for the clutch pedal, so it controls how much slippage occurs when you let your left foot off of the pedal.

When you look closely, my clutch lever combined with the 1916 shifter quadrant and my bike didn't quite line up. Like everything else I've fitted to this bike, they needed a little hand work. In the next picture you can see that the friction button doesn't quite line up with the quadrant, and in the one after that you can see that the lever can't go all the way forward without hitting the engine:

When you look at pictures of old Indian Powerplus bikes on the interwebs, almost every clutch lever looks a little different. Some are long and straight, and some are short and kinky. Mine is short, so I decided to make it a little kinkier. In the "BEFORE" shot you can see that it has one little kink near the bottom:

Some of them have a similar kink near the top that solves the clearance problem, so I laid out some lines and used the hot wrench and a little vice jaw brake to modify mine:

Ziggy of Canada, who's been a great help to me on this project, told me that they are supposed to have a piece of fiber board type material between the back side of the clutch lever and the quadrant. It's supposed to be the same shape as the button holder. I clamped the button holder to a sheet of phenolic, drew the outline, and cut it out:

I drilled and tapped two new holes to adjust the position of the button holder. Now the friction button lines up, and the lever clears the motor:

I call that success.

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

• Hi Kevin

That is looking good and once again a joy to read and see how you are getting on

If you have any spare bits or come across anything for a '15 I would be interested.

Cheers
                          Steve
                          1914 P&M
                          1915 Indian (project)
                          1930 M50 Panther
                          1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

• Kevin, the project is looking great. I like the press brake in the vice thing. Never seen one. Fantastic idea for doing little stuff. Bob L
                            AMCA #3149
                            http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

• Beautiful work Kevin, and thank you for taking the time to take so many pictures. Like Bob said, I too really like that vise mounted press break. Where did you get that?
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

• I can't remember where I got the vice brake. There isn't any brand stamped on it. I thought it was from Graham Tools, because it's held in by magnets like the Graham soft jaws, but I searched the Graham website and no joy. If you search Amazon for "vice brake" there are two that come up that look like mine, one from Grizzly and one from Kaka, so I probably ordered mine from Amazon.

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                X