Trueit Osborn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trueit Osborn

I was looking for someone to do some machine work for me. I had always heard of Tueit Osborn for years .Famous for flywheels. So I checked out there website. They had a price list right there .So I took some case and flywheels to them .Got the stuff back and flawless work and beyind reasonable. They did not nickle and dime me or try to milk evey dollar out of the project.Been in businees since 1967. Hight recomended. 316 682 4781.http://www.truettandosborn.com/. Give paul Osborn A call and visit there Web site.

just a note

I know they do excellent work. But on the bottom of my '72 FLH after they did the bottom, they didn't pressure test the cases. And wouldn't you know it, the porosity caused a leak. The motor had to be removed form a fully assmbled bike, and completely tore down to weld the cases. I would still use them if I had to, though, because I know so many who are happy with their work. The motor does run great, and I have been told it is extremely smooth compared to other Shovels.
    Mike

Comment

Used them to rebuild my 49EL crank. Hopefully I will find out this weekend how it starts and runs.

Comment

portagepan, I've never heard of anybody "pressure testing" a set of cases. Can you enlighten us as to how that is done? cuz I'm really curious.

Comment

I will leave that to the experts.

Comment

Originally posted by fabercycle View Post
            portagepan, I've never heard of anybody "pressure testing" a set of cases. Can you enlighten us as to how that is done? cuz I'm really curious.
            I've put air to the timing hole several times and found and sealed oil leaks. On a small porosity, or crack you can use a round nosed punch and a SMALL hammer to manipulate the aluminum to get a seal that will last forever! I guess you could do a bare set of cases if you made up some plates to block off the bore holes and plugged all the races and other holes. It also works really well to find tranny leaks!
            http://laughingindian.com/
            http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
            A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

This leak was right between the lifter blocks. It could not be fixed any way but what we did. Period.
              Mike

Comment

This repair had to be done right,because it was a high pressure spot, for the lifters, and close to the oil pump. No bubble gum, J&B, or BFFAI would suffice, and we couldn't get it hot enough assembled in the frame, so................ I hate it, but once in a while we actually have to fix something the right way, darn it. And man, the porosity of those '72 cases, gee................ Mike

Comment

Portage My question would be - why did it leak after and not before? I don't see that it was T&O's fault. That is a very untypical place to leak. Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by indianut View Post
                    I've put air to the timing hole several times and found and sealed oil leaks. On a small porosity, or crack you can use a round nosed punch and a SMALL hammer to manipulate the aluminum to get a seal that will last forever! I guess you could do a bare set of cases if you made up some plates to block off the bore holes and plugged all the races and other holes. It also works really well to find tranny leaks!
                    Indianut - how much air pressure do you apply for testing like this?
                    Ray
                    AMCA #7140

Comment

About 20 pounds...no more. I never would have thought of it until I started using Cotten's Pressure-test for Intake Systems!
                      http://laughingindian.com/
                      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
                      A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

I bought it like this. Like I said, it is just a matter of going all the way for a top notch job. Why only do 9/10s? Would you want it that way? Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
                          Portage My question would be - why did it leak after and not before? I don't see that it was T&O's fault. That is a very untypical place to leak. Jerry
                          I have to agree, I don't see how that is T&O's fault.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

IT is Harley's fault. They just missed it. I have talked to several people who actually have worked on bike for years, and the porosity is a well known problem. SHOULD HAVE BEEN CHECKED. Mike This is the end of my comments on this. It has gotten to be a fantasy thread.

Comment

I,d say that it was one of AMF,s many faults.
                              Steve Little
                              Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
                              Australia.
                              AMCA member 1950

Comment

Working...
                              X