Hand shift to foot shift conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand shift to foot shift conversion

Hi I'd like to convert my jockey shift to a foot shift. I have a good ratchet top and drum assembly and I'm wondering how difficult it would be. Can I just swap tops or is there more involved. I'll save my hand clutch conversion questions for another post. Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Xlch72

XLCH72,
    The swap is pretty straight forward, however the spacing on the shifter forks is critical. It is best to do with the factory tool or an aftermarket one but you can do it without, it is just slower to do without it. If you don't have a service manual get one, as it explains in detail how to adjust the spacing. It is too long and detailed to list here this morning. There is also an adjustment procedure for the ratchet top you should do as well to make sure all is good.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

There is a "1952 SUPPLEMENT of NEW PARTS" issued March 1, 1952 that shows in great detail all the neccessary parts and part numbers required for the conversion. PM me if you want a copy.

Comment

i have made the conversion on 4 or 5 transmissions. if your transmission was working properly with the hand shift top you can just switch the tops and no other mods are necessary. just make sure that the little hat shaped rollers on the end of the shift fork holders stay in place. the drum is the same in both lids.
        you won't have to change shift forks or adjustments at all.

Comment

And don't let those little 'hats' fall into the gears!

Comment

Originally posted by flat-happy View Post
            you won't have to change shift forks or adjustments at all.
            I disagree. Any time the lid is changed the shift fork adjustment needs to be checked ... Perry
            Last edited by Perry Ruiter; 07-30-2009, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X