No announcement yet.

sticking pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very interesting Paps, thanks - that sounds just like what my scout was doing. I wish I would of checked that. I hope to have it back up by next month and Iam real interested and hopeful that I will figure out what the problem is. Thats about what I did too, I just kept trying to ride it easier and easier. But it was no go, when they lock up that its mighty hard on your nerves. Especially when you have alot of effort, or time in it.
    I took it to a pro a couple of months ago, told him what was happening. He test rode it around the block and listend to it in the drive way, said it was perfect. Could not seem to get him to take it for a longer ride, as I thought it needed to get hotter. But he did not and said all was fine. So thats why I am trying to figure it out, with help from friends - thanks again Tom.

Comment

Just a thought, but have you checked to see if the rods are straight? Indian rods are pretty easy to tweak a bit at the small end. The marks on the pistons from locking up would not be even, rather offset from top to bottom. Even with a lot of clearance on set up, if the piston isn't square in the bore it can start to nip up with heat. Go ahead, ask me how I know.

Comment

Are you sure it's the pistons seizing? A friend of mine had the same issue years ago with a freshly rebuilt flathead and it turned out to be the flywheel thrust washer not haveing enough clearance. Ran until it got hot..then seized. Cooled down, ran until it got hot...then seized.

Just another thought.....Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X