Texturing engine cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texturing engine cases

I had some welding repairs done on a set of H-D engine cases. I'm going to do all of the weld dressing myself but I wanted to get some opinions on texturing the case so it looks like a bumpy casting. I've tried a lot of things in the past, including, tapping coarse sandpaper with a hammer to leave an impression in the aluminum. Letting a die grinder dance on the surface, and sandblasting with coarse sand. I've not tried a welding needle scaler but I'm going to buy one just becuase I need one. I'd love get some ideas from members who have done this.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Eric,

If the aluminum welding repairs were done neatly and depending on the location of the weld I have used coarse files and then small sand paper drum rolls on a air grinder and then using the coarse sand paper route like you mentioned with pretty darn good results then bead blasted the cases.
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

Comment

I bought a needle scaler. It did a superb job. The only thing that would have made me happier is not having a busted up, welded case. I'd post a picture but after working on this case for the past week I'm in no mood to try and figure out how to post a decent picture on this screwed up web site.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
      X