45 Cam Bushing Reaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rex!

The scraper comes into play when the fresh bushing has been produced slightly undersized.
    Commercially available bushings often come out of the package a perfect fit to a fresh journal. But when the bushing is pressed into a hole that has ~.0015" interference, the bore of the bushing collapses slightly as well, usually about a half a thou, depending upon the thickness of the bushing wall.

The journal will stick in the bore of course. Forcing it in and out will make marks (or you can use a felt tip pen and look for the exposed metal).
    Merely scraping the highspots in a cross-hatch fashion will allow the journal to be inserted slightly further.

As the operation is repeated, the area of contact will widen.
    The amount of material removed is in the order of tenths of a thou, so it is a long process.
    But if the other end of the journal is properly located within its bushing, it will actually show any misalignment in the new bushing as you gently force the cover on and off of the dowels.

You will only be removing metal from where it is needed. It also must be noted that often the interference signature can often be opposite of the true highspot, so some careful observation and a little intuition go a long way: Such as if you realize the signature is opposite a bulge from where the bushing has been pinned.

Even a piloted reamer or hone will 'walk' slightly to the side of a pinning bulge, so a scraper is the only way to accurately remove only the bulge.

I also spin an abrasive nylon brush within the hole to smooth any burr, and further illuminate the highspots with the next trial assembly.

It is harder to describe the process than it is to perform, but it does take much more patience than most modern metal butchers can muster.

I'm certain a better tutorial can be found at http://www.lindsaybks.com/

....Cotten
    PS: I mentioned "supply" of scrapers in my previous post. You want them very sharp on their hollow-ground edges.

Comment

That's a good point Rex. I need a boring head for the mill in my backyard shop. My cage rattling was from the perspective of a machinist who has to do a job in a reasonable amount of time with a minimum of specialized fixturing. I want to be optimistic and hope that Paps comes up with some good ideas because I have other motors to do. Unfortunately I have a vertical mill but maybe his fixture can be transposed to work vertically.

Comment

Eric, If you have enough vertical travel on your mill, this horizonal fixture will do the job. I just got back up online. I'll dig the fixture photos out in a few days. Email me direct so I can get them to you. Mention the fixture in your email subject line. Paps

Email addy.... vtwinrebuild@yahoo.com

Cotten....excellent explaination on scraping !

Comment

Did you receive the mill fixture pics I sent to you ? Paps

Comment

Paps-

Yes, saw them Monday. That's one heavy duty fixture! I was considering a similar sandwiched plate for my vertical mill using 1/2" plate with end plates down to the table, but that's as far as I got.

I can't see how the cam cover and case are attached so the case can be removed without disturbing the cover. Can you describe this?

Again, thanks for taking the time to do this. Couldn't do it without you guys.

Rex

Comment

Originally posted by exeric
              My cage rattling was from the perspective of a machinist.....
              Eric-
              I don't mind a little cage rattling when needed. My cage has been rattled here before with good reason and probably will be again. I see it as a valuable part of the learning process.

Don't hold back!

Rex

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten
                [B]Rex!

The scraper comes into play when the fresh bushing has been produced slightly undersized....
                Cotten-

Thanks for the direction to the Lindsay Library. I've gotten several books from him about casting, copperwork, etc.

When doing test fits with ink, since the journal will always touch somewhere leaving a mark, how do you know when you're done?

Rex

Comment

Rex!

When there is no trace of bind, it is as sweet of a fit as cam be hoped for.

Beware that fully torquing the covers screws may produce yet another bind.

Patience is a virtue.

....Cotten

PS: I'm a little diaspointed that no one called me down on my claim that I can levitate a scraper to hang in mid air.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex
                    Cotten-
                    You can do all that with the $2.37 scraper shown in that link!?

Rex
                    That was questioning the levitation claim..

About the cover screws. Is this in reference to the end play/shim fitting, or can unequal torque on the cover screws cause the cover to be not square with the case?

Rex

Comment

The particuliar fixture I presented to you utilizes the dowel pins. Bear in mind, this fixture is for line boring unmatched number cases but matched cases can be done using it as well. Feel free to post the photos. I'm sure many will comment on them. Wish I could take credit for the design and build of this fixture but it was turned on to me by another enthusiate who wanted to help me out. It helped me considerably. This fixture design turned out to be the best mill tooling I was ever introduced to. The plate used for the fixture is a little overkill but no way will it move without a crash. Paps

Comment

Rex!

Fastener torque has a way of moving metal, no matter how straight everything appears.

It metal didn't 'move', it would be too brittle to use.

If any poor soul walks into my shop today, I'll get him to snap a photo of my levitation act.

...Cotten
                        Late edit:

It is a small wonder that no one came in today, as I have had a large sign in the front door for months that says "Go Away".

Nonetheless, I managed a few pics inspite of the loss of concentration due to focusing a slow digicam: Kind of like firing a flintlock.

When I bought these scrapers, they were still only $.89

Uh, where did the attachment button go? Please see next post.

Comment

Disbelievers may post me direct at liberty@npoint.net for enlarged versions of the individual shots.

'Dis ain't no barroom trick!

....Cotten
                          Attached Files

Comment

Now for all 3 at once!
                            I'll even drive over there to shoot the picture.

I hope OSHA dosn't see this, looks like a potential safety issue.

Comment

Cotten,
                              I am "priority overnight shipping" you a carb. to be repaired !
                              You obviously are in dire need of something to do. Worried about you bro ! ( Neat trick and you know i'm kidding )
                              johnny

Comment

Hey,
                                I sure would like to see the picture of that fixture, love to learn
                                Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X