No announcement yet.

Use of Synthetic Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh no not another oil thread.....................
    #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Omg i knew this was going to happen.

Comment

'My cousin's sister husband who is a mechanic for Jay Leno's step daughter said non-detergent oil and synthetic mixed and brought up to temperature will burnish into the metal and cause anti gravitational properties that we are only just beginning to understand at the local Dark Custom Catalog Dealership.
        '

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS47Chief1991 View Post
          'My cousin's sister husband who is a mechanic for Jay Leno's step daughter said non-detergent oil and synthetic mixed and brought up to temperature will burnish into the metal and cause anti gravitational properties that we are only just beginning to understand at the local Dark Custom Catalog Dealership.
          '
          You guessed exactly why I hoarded Aeroshell, Deebs...

....Cotten

AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Copy that, Tom.

Comment

'
              What the heck does that mean??
              Bill Pedalino
              Huntington, New York
              AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by billpedalino View Post

Glad you asked, Bill!

It means you must have a virgin oil with virtually no nasty additives (ashless Aeroshell),..

And the temperature has to be just right to levitate.

....Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-17-2024, 12:22 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by billpedalino View Post

What that encrypted message means is that all oil threads are full of B.S. info from B.S. sources. However, most of it is well meaning and quite useless. You ain't riding 300,000 miles. Any oil is fine for the 3,000 miles a year you really ride and that is the real truth about oil. I have a Moto Guzzi with 225,000 miles that has been driven all over the country including Alaska and I only have ever used car oil in it. Real world. Real facts.

The Dark Custom Catalog Dealership is a shot at everyone's favorite dealer "boutique" that has bar and shield pot holders and Monopoly game tables that you have to get around until you get to the parts counter only to find they have to place your simple and common bike part on order because they have zero in stock.

Comment

I got twentyfivebucks out of a can o' Oilzum yesterday, Folks!

Almost makes up for the one stolen at Davenport...

....Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-18-2024, 09:28 AM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

For real? Someone stole an antique can of oil from you at a swap meet?

Comment

For real? Someone stole an antique can of oil from you at a swap meet?
                        Two years ago, Deebs,...

A clean-cut young citizen was annoyed that I wouldn't picker-dicker.

I turned my back, and it 'disappeared'.

Back to topic, total-loss machines really benefit with an ashless oil.

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776

Comment

'The Dark Custom Catalog Dealership is a shot at everyone's favorite dealer "boutique" that has bar and shield pot holders and Monopoly game tables that you have to get around until you get to the parts counter only to find they have to place your simple and common bike part on order because they have zero in stock.
                          '

Well said about the boutique dealerships - I almost never visit our local dealership, despite the fact that a high school friend owns it. Too much nonsense - they've lost the mindset and therefore, the clientele of the 1960's that I used to be among. Yes, I'm dating myself at 75 yeas old, but I've been in this game a long time and have a different mindset than the current breed of riders. That doesn't make them bad people, just different than I. There's mothing there for me anymore(except 6V batteries for my old bikes).

I know that the above-answers were offered in an attempt for information and clarity, but I'm still confused. So, back to my original questions: 1) can I simply drain the oil from my knucklehead, early Sportster, and Panhead and replace it with synthetic oil without causing damage? 2) If so, what viscosity should be used (I use 20W-50 in my Road King).?
                          Bill Pedalino
                          Huntington, New York
                          AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill,
                            Most synthetic oils are compatible with conventional oils. Most of the companies will recommend a flush, this being a very early premature oil change interval or 50-100 miles approximately.
                            This becomes critical if you are oil sample testing and want to establish base lines for you new and used oil.

Monitoring this through oil sample testing aids greatly in discovery of fuel dilution, change intervals and compatibility of the particular oil and viscosity you choose.
                            Some people will find oil sampling an inconvenience to which I recommend just changing it often then...

The viscosity you choose can be based mainly off ambient air and oil temperatures seen during usage.
                            Typically I recommend 20W-50 when using hydraulic controlled valvetrain.
                            It comes down to viscosity break down from temperature...
                            I'm not sure of your particular location per climate and riding styles.
                            Keep in mind, oil can run too cool and be harmful as well to your engine. You want it to reach an operational temperature and maintain within that region in order to avoid viscosity breakdown.

Hope this helps,
                            Duke Kleman
                            Last edited by dukekleman; 08-19-2024, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dukekleman View Post
                              Bill,
                              Most synthetic oils are compatible with conventional oils. Most of the companies will recommend a flush, this being a very early premature oil change interval or 50-100 miles approximately.
                              This becomes critical if you are oil sample testing and want to establish base lines for you new and used oil.

Monitoring this through oil sample testing aids greatly in discovery of fuel dilution, change intervals and compatibility of the particular oil and viscosity you choose.
                              Some people will find oil sampling an inconvenience to which I recommend just changing it often then...

The viscosity you choose can be based mainly off ambient air and oil temperatures seen during usage.
                              Typically I recommend 20W-50 when using hydraulic controlled valvetrain.
                              It comes down to viscosity break down from temperature...
                              I'm not sure of your particular location per climate and riding styles.
                              Keep in mind, oil can run too cool and be harmful as well to your engine. You want it to reach an operational temperature and maintain within that region in order to avoid viscosity breakdown.

Hope this helps,
                              Duke Kleman
                              Yes Duke - very helpful. Thanks for the illumination!
                              Bill Pedalino
                              Huntington, New York
                              AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                              X