Use of Synthetic Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of Synthetic Oil

I have six operating motorcycles and two more under various stages of restoration and I usually have 2 or 3 ready-to-ride bikes (I've go to start selling these off!). I've used 60 weight, Valvoline R-series racing oil for many years, but have recently learned that it now has a life of only 6 months after its first run, even if the motor sits idle! Given the cost of motor oil these days, keeping oil in these bikes now becomes expensive, especially given the very minimal number of miles I now ride.
    Given the above, I'm wondering if switching to synthetic oil is an option. With the exception of my 'New', non-antique bike (2006 Road King), I've never used synthetic oil and I'm looking for opinions as to whether or not its a viable idea and if so, what weights are recommended. I seem to recall that if a motor had been run with regular motor oil, you can't switch to synthetic without first disassembling it and thoroughly cleaning all parts. However, I'm now de-stroking and reassembling my 1970 XLCH motor and if synthetic is viable, I would use it, at least for his bike.
    Any thoughts?
    Thank you...
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill, could you share or reference the article that says the life is only 6 months after its first run? Is it from a independent study or from the manufacturer? Is it condensation buildup or break down of some sort? Oil is always a hard subject to discuss, but I would like to know. I have stock piled cases of Valvoline R 60 and am curious. Thanks.
    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Oil is one of the biggest arguments on the internet. It's right up there with spark plugs. Just about every forum in existence. The bottom line is any oil works these days but must be changed in reasonable intervals. Oils well that ends well.

Comment

Well said Deebs47Chief1991 I'm on the Vintage Chevy website, Stovebolt and various others and the beat goes on. I don't know the correct answer to Bills question but I do know that I generally change the oil in all machines once a year. I am resting the urge to post what I use!
        Pete
        Pete Cole AMCA #14441
        1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Oil blending, Testing and Re-blending is a very complex and expensive process!
          ​​​​​"Oil isn't just Oil" until your stranded on the road without options...

It's important to try and do your research on the motor oil you are going to use on your Vintage motorcycles.
          It's equally important you change it often on air/oil cooled units.
          Especially those that run to rich on their Air Fuel Ratios, which are many of them. This fuel dilution causes rapid wear in many ways.
          Monitor it closely and change it!

Duke
          Last edited by dukekleman; 08-14-2024, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
            Bill, could you share or reference the article that says the life is only 6 months after its first run? Is it from a independent study or from the manufacturer? Is it condensation buildup or break down of some sort? Oil is always a hard subject to discuss, but I would like to know. I have stock piled cases of Valvoline R 60 and am curious. Thanks.
            My auto parts dealer, whom I've known for well over 20 years and fully trust, told me this and complained that he now had to change his R-60 oil in his high-performance hot rod quite often. I then googled the R-60 information and noted the 6-month term. I'll try to dig up the reference that I found and will report back.
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

I found the following online, which coincides with what I've been warned about, but I haven't been able to confirm it with an official Valvoline specification, so I'm skeptical:
              People also ask
              How long does the Valvoline VR1 last?
              Mobil 1 Racing Oil, Castrol Racing Oil, and Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil are all boutique racing oils with full street additive packages, and safe to run for 3000 mi/ 6 months. Valvoline VR1 NSL is a real 'event' racing oil. If you use it on the street, then it must be changed every 500 mi/ 3 months.Mar 13, 2018
              Bill Pedalino
              Huntington, New York
              AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by billpedalino View Post
                ]People also ask
                How long does the Valvoline VR1 last?
                Still in the can, Folks,...

The only age "problem" for any oil is when additives settle to the bottom.

....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

See "The Motor Oil Geek" on you tube for oil info. Old oil can separate in can.

Comment

Beware storeing oil in a humid environment, Folks!

After a couple of decades down in the "Creature Feature", the labels fell off my cases of Aeroshell.

.....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Bill, sorry I didn't help with your initial question. I believe blended synthetics can be added to conventional, but full synthetics need to be alone in their environment, what I've read but no documentation to forward. Thanks for the follow up on my questions, I'll just continue on, trial and error and what has worked for me. Oil conversation is almost like politics and religion, crazy!
                      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

eating-popcorn.gif
                        Last edited by micmac; 08-15-2024, 08:37 AM.
                        Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                        1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                          Bill, sorry I didn't help with your initial question. I believe blended synthetics can be added to conventional, but full synthetics need to be alone in their environment, what I've read but no documentation to forward. Thanks for the follow up on my questions, I'll just continue on, trial and error and what has worked for me. Oil conversation is almost like politics and religion, crazy!
                          So, for the Sportster motor I'm currently completing, I would simply start using synthetic oil - I assume 20w-50?? For my knucklehead, panhead and shovelhead, when I next change the oil, can I just drain the existing VR-1 and replace it with synthetic oil without damaging these motors? Or, must the motors be disassembled and cleaned before accepting synthetic oil?
                          Bill Pedalino
                          Huntington, New York
                          AMCA 6755

Comment

Synthetic oil will mix well with standard oil.

Comment

I've got quarts of Castrol 70 semi-synth I can bring to D-port, Folks!

Aeroshell, too, Let me know,...

....Cotten
                              PS: Just 'searched', and Aeroshell is a bargain at ten bucks a bottle.

Can bring cases.
                              Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-15-2024, 12:03 PM.
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                              X