47 EL in need of rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 EL in need of rebuild

I live in metro Atlanta and purchased a Harley 1947 EL fifteen years ago. It runs decently with a little smoke and the occasional back fire. But I really have no idea of the actual condition of the engine or transmission. I was originally planning to take on the rebuild myself upon retirement. Now after some further research this probably over my pay grade. I was hoping I could get some possible recommendations for someone to do both the engine and transmission rebuilds that is capable, reasonable and can their trust their assessment for what really needs to be done. A drivable distance from Atlanta also is preferable. Perhaps this is a tall order but hoping for the best.

Thank you, Mike cell 770-655-6222

Try Speed Standard in Canton GA. If you want to attempt this yourself - Join the Smoky Mountain Chapter and host some tech days to get it done. I am a member and have hosted such days where members come from Georgia and Alabama and we dig in.

Here is a link to our webite
    Smoky Mountain Chapter (smokymountainamca.org)
    If you go to the Blog you will see some of these.

We are a small chapter but get together regularly to work on bikes. Our President is in Carrollton GA. Next weekend is a club lunch in Rockmart GA.
    Erik Bahl

1929 BMW R63
    1915 Harley Davidson 11F Twin

Comment

Originally posted by Beemererik View Post
      Try Speed Standard in Canton GA. If you want to attempt this yourself - Join the Smoky Mountain Chapter and host some tech days to get it done. I am a member and have hosted such days where members come from Georgia and Alabama and we dig in.

Here is a link to our webite
      Smoky Mountain Chapter (smokymountainamca.org)
      If you go to the Blog you will see some of these.

We are a small chapter but get together regularly to work on bikes. Our President is in Carrollton GA. Next weekend is a club lunch in Rockmart GA.
      Great advice. Should happen more places and more often. Glad you guys do this!
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Thank you very much Erik. I live in Ball Ground so Canton is a short hop and I will be taking a drive over to talk to Moondogg this week. Hoping for the best.

I joined the AMCA back in 2008 when I first purchased this EL. After a couple of years the renewal notices stopped showing up and I lost track of my membership. I resigned up a couple of weeks ago and was pretty sure I chose Smokey Mnt. as my local chapter.

And of course bad timing as I will be out of town next Saturday or I would have certainly joined you guys for lunch.

Mike Charlton

Comment

Working...
        X