Help with a 45 Magnum build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a 45 Magnum build

Also saying Howdy! with a new account on the forum. Easier that way. while an "active" member, I dropped off the forums for a while. Anyway, I'm back. I'm Lonnie Adkins, Road Name is McGyver. Call me either. I'm using this intro to get restarted now that I have a bit more time. I've been riding legally since I was 14. First a Honda Dream 350, then an HD Aermacchi Sprint. First big bike was a 650 BSA, followed by a Pan. Then a 79 Sporty. And then I got my first WLA. Since then FXRP Evo, then a Superglide. Now I've a Roadking, two civilianized WLAs, a Hummer needing restoration and a BMW R-18.

So, I came across this failed project and decided to adopt it. I've wanted a chopped trike since high school. Plan is to get it running first, then replace the box with a FLRT body I just happen to have access to. While THAT is going on, I am in search of someone who can help in building a 45 Magnum motor. Since this frame is already cut chopped and stretched, I'll fit the 45 Magnum in and sell the 66GE motor to help with the costs of making this a realized project. I've been in contact with some folks, including (thru a third party) Duncan Keller who did a number of these motors for PaughCo a decade or so ago. Duncan has too much on his plate to help but he may help with consulting.

I have the big pieces for the 45 Magnum - left and right cases not matching, but they match up. Cam cover. Ironhead jugs, heads, valves etc that came as a direct takeoff top end of a 900cc Sporty. Flywheels and rods (as a unit, no play) off an ironhead, too. I can follow directions in a manual, but haven't the skills or equipment to build a motor like this.

All that said, anyone interested or know anyone who would be interested and could do this motor build? Or even just want to chat about it? ThanX!

(cross posted in Welcome/Announcements/Disclaimer )
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

If you want something reliable,stay away from Magnum.I've seen many,& most were never very rideable & self destructed

Comment

That Sporty crank won't fit into 45 cases....
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
        If you want something reliable,stay away from Magnum.I've seen many,& most were never very rideable & self destructed

ThanX! Duffy. The input is appreciated I had been of the same mind for years but never met anyone who had experienced a catastrophic Ka-boom. Then I saw this info on Face Book and tracked it down to bikernet, run by Keith Ball (Bandit of Easyriders mag) https://www.bikernet.com/pages/How_t...um_Engine.aspx Also have a couple leads on some nice show wining bikes that did a 45 Magnum, so as to ask about who built their engines. PaughCo for a while was selling 45 Magnum engines to go into their specialty frames, but they are all out, or I wouldn't be trying this route. I talked to Ian at PaughCo as well as to Bandit about getting in touch with Duncan Keller who seems to have perfected the recipe and built the PaughCo motors.. Bandit said he spoke to Duncan and Duncan said he would advise.

I took a set of unmatched "matching" cases and left some matched number cases for someone to build a period correct bike. I know this is a long term project and a pipedream Frankenstein build, but, Hey, I just retired and need something to irritate the wife!

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
          That Sporty crank won't fit into 45 cases....
          Robby - Only if you don't machine it to fit. See the link in my response to Duffy. Duncan Keller recommends using the sporty internals, machined to fit. This whole thing is gonna be labor intensive, but I hope it'll be fun. And who knows, maybe I'll just leave the stock engine in. I hope to talk to Duncan soon, as well as find out about "kitabel" (Jefferey Diamond) also a AMCA member, who has a lot of interesting info on his site victorylibrary.com I understand he had some health issues so, I haven't gotten a response from him yet, either. Stay in touch, chatting about stuff is fun

Comment

Working...
          X