Whats needed to repair cams for a '31 VL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats needed to repair cams for a '31 VL

Hey hey boys! Made a quick video of the cams im trying to save for a 31 vl. Can you take a look and let me know if i can run it or whats the recommended next steps to get them going again.

https://youtu.be/hPAVHHyDhJM

Thank you kindly!

Kurt.

It looks to me like your real issue is the gear teeth. Cam lobes can be reground, gear teeth, not so much.
    Mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

I'm with Mark. The roller lifters will take a lot of wear and pitting on the lobes, but the teeth not so much. If the gear teeth are badly corroded then the cam is probably too far gone. And isn't that a late No 4 cam, not the early one you need? I sent a set of VL cams to Andrews over a year ago but no action yet. There were more VLs built that ULs, for which Andrews make the cams, and we're all really scratching to find good sets of cams. Give Andrews a good lobbying if you'd like to see new cams.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
        I'm with Mark. The roller lifters will take a lot of wear and pitting on the lobes, but the teeth not so much. If the gear teeth are badly corroded then the cam is probably too far gone. And isn't that a late No 4 cam, not the early one you need? I sent a set of VL cams to Andrews over a year ago but no action yet. There were more VLs built that ULs, for which Andrews make the cams, and we're all really scratching to find good sets of cams. Give Andrews a good lobbying if you'd like to see new cams.
        Thanks Mark and Steve for chiming in, and excited for your book thats on the way!! Whats the best way to measure and understand the differences in cam's by year? I'm trying to assemble a two spare engines for the next cannonball and scouring for parts. If you dont mind, i laid out my cams and took a video. If you have a chance, can you tell me your thoughts on what I have.. Im hoping in any case you guys may know of someone that can weld/repair?

Thank you again very very much, love the knowledge and really want to learn..

https://youtu.be/CjvRV1TidKQ
        Last edited by kjlittlefield; 10-11-2023, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Your A & B #4 cams look like they're for the '34 onwards oil pump. Bearing journal dia should be 0.890".
          C4 looks like the pre '34 item. Bearing journal dia should be 1.060".

B & C #1 look like pre '34. You'll need to remove the bush from A1 to tell.

If you've ordered Steve's book you'll soon have all the cam info at hand.

Comment

Thank you Peter! Got my book and on my way.. Anyone know of a shop that may be able to repair a cam?

Comment

Don't know if you figured anything out yet but delta camshaft in Tacoma Washington does cam repairs and grinding. They've done a lot of flathead ford cams for my shop and race cams but I know they do motorcycle cams too.

Comment

Working...
              X