No announcement yet.

Schebler / Linkert carb info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the 1928 Schebler manual and very handy when you're trying to identify carbs IMG_20230915_0016.jpg
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Let us collect Tommo's previous contributions, too, Folks:

https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...ealer-brochure

There's more I believe...

...Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Here's some basic info from the 1945 edition of Nicholson's "Modern Motorcycle Mechanics" that answers a lot of questions that are not covered in Factory publications IMG_20230915_0017.jpg IMG_20230915_0018.jpg IMG_20230915_0019.jpg
        A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Great reading material and information. Thank you.

Comment

I have a DLX 100. I do not see it listed. Anyone know what it is for?? I was told early Chief.
            D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

1933 -34 Indian 74 cubic inch Chief
              A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Was your DLX100, D.A.,

Found with the 'short' bowl, or the shouldered 'long' one?

It would be a clue as to when the change occurred, thanks!

....Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-15-2023, 10:36 AM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Found these pictures of what was advertised as a 1902 Schebler. No idea what it may have gone to. Mr. Schebler would have been 37 in 1902.

1902 Schebler.jpg

1902 Schebler #2.jpg

1902 Schebler #3.jpg

1902 Schebler #4.jpg

Comment

Such a polish job, Paul!

My ""02" Scheb is like on the Curtiss Dirigible, and it had a 'gate' throttle, not a butterfly: https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...s-friday/page2

I think '02 was just the first patent date. The variety seems endless.

An extensive Schebler history has been posted online, if that forum didn't evaporate.

....Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-15-2023, 05:53 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

I see that there is still some questions being asked re Indian float levels elsewhere on this forum so I asked myself where do I go if I wanted to find a float lever for an Indian.
                      "QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS" which is an American publication of which the earliest edition I have is the 18th.
                      For carb settings for both HD and Indian the index refers you to the carb section and the following two pages are relevant to the discussion here.
                      I'm going to post the text and put the pages up in a following post
                      A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Q & A 1.jpg Q & A 2.jpg
                        A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Many thanks, Tommo!

However it seems to raise more questions, such as why the GX isn't spec'd at 3/16", and why is there a range of setting for Linkerts.

Like the Nicholson pages, it shows the '40 beanpot, but not the "tin lid" '29-'39 models, yet "Questions and Answers" still lists a 7/16" setting for all DLXs.

The first (Type A) DLXs had a very flat floatlever geometry, and deep setting, whereas the '40 beanpot shows a steep downward bend, inspite of a shallow setting, and the Linkert is bent upward fore and aft to achieve the same setting:

lever comparison 1.jpg
                          (If anyone has cut-aways of the pre-'40 DLXs, please post them!)

The Linkert floatlevers changed around '50 (bent to more extremes), to accomodate the new foam floats, but retain the same level setting.

My suspicion is that all DLX and Linkert designs were meant to produce a 5/8" fuel level within the bowl. If it is true, then float settings might be back-calculated from the different bowltop-to-pivot distances.

The early "tin lid short bowls" used two different levers, making it critical to find accurate contemporary literature:
                          SHBVALVS.jpg
                          The '40-only beanpot valve is shown on far left, next to one of two 'tin lid' valves, all which used the long lever below them. Bronze bowl DLXs used the the 'glandnut' style lever and needle assembly on the right, shown with GX seats above it. (The lever was soldered to the GX brass floats, and bronze bowls had integral seats.)

In the middle we have a unique lever, and valves used upon the 'short' potmetal bowl, although I have also found plenty of the glandnut style of lever.
                          It's unique bend is why we need specific '29 to ~'33 OEM literature.

....Cotten
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-22-2023, 12:39 PM.
                          AMCA #776

Comment

do we know how that idle slot with 2 small holes on each end of the slot functions?
                            Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
                            https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Swan View Post
                              do we know how that idle slot with 2 small holes on each end of the slot functions?
                              The slot is only a Linkert thing, Steve!

(And how they were produced is as enigmatic as the construction of the Egyptian Pyramids.)

Offhand, my only reference for idle bleed function is the Armored School Handbook:

ARMRD40.jpg

Apparently, air is deflected by the nearly closed throttledisc into the large front idle bleed hole, where it mixes in the idle bleed chamber, or "well", with somewhat emulsified fuel before it all gets sucked out the smaller rear hole into the bore. The slot must allow for a gentler transition.

By the time the machine is rolling freely down the road, the venturi kicks in, and the idle bleeds reverse to meter air to the bottom of the bowlstem.
                              The genius of the founders is unfathomable.

....Cotten
                              Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-23-2023, 09:03 PM.
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                              X