Clear All

• HD 4 spd mainshaft bearing housing #OEM#35100-36

HD 4 spd mainshaft bearing housing #OEM#35100-36
    fits 1936-1979
    Ordered VTwin 17-9761
    Info says USA made by Motorshop [VTwin]
    OD into case is 2.752" ,oversize. .002"..{too tight}
    {possible cracked case if installed or removed without heating case.}
    ID of bearing race is slightly oversize..002".bearing falls in,moves freely.{too loose}
    The bearing should be light press fit in race,or no clearance. {2.750"-2.751" HD spec}
    Depth of bearing race should be about .010"- .015" less than bearing width.
    This part of the bearing sticking out is captured by the lock plate that holds it.
    17-9761 Depth of bearing hole is about .040" too deep.
    The large ID & depth allows the bearing & mainshaft to have lots of unwanted endplay.
    Should be no endplay,or only the bearing movement.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I sent that back & ordered an Eastern Mfg Co #A-35100-36
    These are supposed to be USA made by Eastern.
    Same exact POS part that VTwin claims to make.
    1st Pic of bad Eastern part,
    2nd pic older Vtwin 17-9774 that would work if a
    ham-fisted hammer mechanic hadn't beat it to death.
    3rd pic is OEM.
    Dennis Kirk,Drag Specialties & J&P also sell the same Eastern Mfg POS.
    Even the one JIMS machine sells looks like this one.
    --------------------------------------------------
    VTWIN #17-9774 is about 2.751 OD & light press fit ID & same depth as OEM
    These will work,but slightly heat the case to install or remove.
    There are about 1,000 of the bad ones out there.

hdb.jpghdc.jpghdoem.jpg

Bad transmission parts can be very dangerous.
    When a transmission locks up,you can't pull the clutch in & roll,...you slide

Comment

Gosh, Duffey,

Nobody really expected Tedd or even Eastern to make their own bearings.

Apparently the market has been flooded with crap, as per usual, and quality gets that much harder to find.

Looks like my inventory just appreciated!

....Cotten
      PS: So,... What's marked on these bearings?
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-08-2023, 04:03 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Duffey,
        I agree with everything you said and share the same frustrations when dealing with them... It is always hit and miss, usually more often miss. I don't understand how quality is so poor nowadays with the equipment these people have to operate in comparison. There really should be no excuses. Societies issues now days have really affected the work place and quality control. Quality control has really gone down hill fast the last 3 years and a Technician has to have huge attention to detail and catch defective parts prior to installation or bad things happen as you mentioned....

Comment

I also should have brought up the countershaft races in case you have not run into this issue with those yet... Same companies you mentioned. I have some that the dimensions are so far off that I don't know what they were doing AND the ID to the OD is off set so much they are eccentric. Just an FYI if you have seen these yet for the 4 speed.

Comment

Thanx Dukleman.The high cost of return shipping has forced many suppliers to cut out junk parts.VTwin is constantly upgrading quality & often they throw out parts that don't fit or sell.Just look at inner primarys for shovelheads.They used to have so many you couldn't choose,now few options.I did one a few years back that was "super quality from German supplier".It was beautiful,but I won't say how long it took me to make it fit the trans & clear the clutch.They no longer sell them.Recently ordered the one they sell & modification to fit nice was a few minutes to mark & cut the front bottom bolt mount to clear the frame on installation.I used to have a "Duffey Cycles School of Hard Knocks" thread on CAIMAG forum.I gave suppliers a chance to make it right.If they didn't I told them to look at my thread the next day.Soon engineers from HD,S&S,& others followed my posts.S&S sent me the first redesigned carb & fuel injection intake! HD changed a few big time issues as well. Many parts problems were fixed because of my posts.On here a while back,I complained about colony bolt kits advertised correct for 1936-'40 HDs.I got some backlash from others but soon afterwards Colony came out with new kits,much closer to OEM parts.
            Last edited by duffeycycles; 08-09-2023, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Cotton,not the bearing,the bearing housing & Eastern made them.

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                Cotton,not the bearing,the bearing housing & Eastern made them.
                Oh...

Gosh Duffey, I'd think originals would be pretty common.

Eastern gave me fits too.

Two things wrong with the repop industry:
                Why don't they just make it right in the first place, and then why do they sell all the 'seconds' before they do a decent production?

...Cotten
                PS: The only time my web posts got results was when Tedd copped pics of my Sunnen and carb, and then pasted them into their catalog, declaring them their own: https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...-been-violated
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-09-2023, 02:57 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Duffey,
                  I've done the same for the industry. Even done case studies and reports. Some of the manufacturers were receptive to a private phone call while others were stand-off'ish and arrogant when I was trying to help. I've never asked for nothing in return either...I've been trying to give back to a industry I've spent my entire life in. This was a reason for joining the AMCA as I stated in my submittals for this forum. Just want to help more people the older I get.
                  I think more people need to tastefully contact the manufacturers regarding issues verse bashing them all over the Internet. You've seem to of have done it tastefully with giving them opportunities...

Comment

Paughco gave me some parts for info shared.As a photographer most suppliers tend to get it when I show them the diff.

Comment

The very first CycleElectric Indian replacement is still here somewhere, Folks!

But that was back when the interwebs was young: https://virtualindian.org/projgen.htm#cepic.

Can't find it, so it must packed for Davenport.

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                      X