Generator shovel idler and timer gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator shovel idler and timer gear

I am finishing a fiasco on a 67 generator shovel and I had a question,does the timer drive gear and idler for the generator have a retaining ring on the shafts or do they float? There is a groove on the shaft for one but I can can't find a clear picture or information on it and for the life of me I can't remember if they have one or not. This came to me with home made shafts and no spacers,love it when this stuff happens.

I had the timer gear loose enough to float once, TG!

I'd fix the timing at one bar, and it would be off by the next.

The circlips certainly make it easier to measure gear endplay; Otherwise (like if the cam cover isn't recessed for them), you must pull the front tappet block and inspect with feelergauges or an indicator.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by tgarcia View Post
      I am finishing a fiasco on a 67 generator shovel and I had a question,does the timer drive gear and idler for the generator have a retaining ring on the shafts or do they float? There is a groove on the shaft for one but I can can't find a clear picture or information on it and for the life of me I can't remember if they have one or not. This came to me with home made shafts and no spacers,love it when this stuff happens.
      Originally the late generator bike did not have the clips and used a wider spacer. Now if the clips fit I use them. Jerry

Comment

My '54 parts book still shows the cir clips, but my '61-'76 parts book doesn't. I use none on my '62 or '69. I make my own 25800-36 spacers to get the right end play if I don't have any. End play can easily be measured (or a starting point) the same way you measure the breather gear end play, flat edge over gasket subtracting for compression, not always a great method but double check through tappet holes. Idler gear end play not as critical as timer, but again easily checked.
        Last edited by BigLakeBob; 07-26-2023, 01:25 PM.
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Thanks for the responses,I guess either way will work. Anyone know the clearance spec for the gear to cover? Don't see it in the manual.

Comment

My '59-'69 manual on page 3A-1 says, timer gear end play .003-.007 and idler gear end play .003-.020.
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Thank you Mr Bob

Comment

Working...
              X