Sleeving WR Cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeving WR Cylinders

Hi All, I looking for someone that knows WR's. I have heard that it is easy to ruin a cylinder when sleeving. My rear cylinder is 30 over and my front is ready to fit a standard piston. I would like to find someone that can sleeve it, fit the pistons and new valves in both cylinders. Also are there any good books on WR restoration
    Last edited by jruff; 07-11-2023, 11:36 PM.

Why sleeve it? Just run different sized pistons, it will run fine. WR are tough because of the tilted valves and easy to screw up. .030 over is nothing.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I agree with Robbie. Do not sleeve just to match the bore. I once pulled down a 1950 EL pan that needed valve work and the front cylinder was +.030 EL piston (3.342") and the rear cylinder was + ,070 FL piston (3.507"). Ran smooth as silk.

Comment

Don't forget, you have tilted valves. The intake valve is so close to the bore that sleeve will probably be in the valve seat area.

Comment

I relies the valves are very close to the bore, that's why I asked the question. This sounds like sound advice. I do have a set of Dow Corning WR pistons 30 over but no rings, I'm sure I can get a set made somewhere. I''m trying to keep it I as much as I can with WR kit

Comment

One more question the V Twin 45 three speed conversion to 4 speed, Is it a quality unit or Chinese junk? Also will it work with the WR narrow clutch?

Comment

As far as I know, all conversion kits are made for later 3 bolt trans case. Within the last year or so I have done the VT 4 speed conversion on my Servicar and WL. It works very well. First gear is 8% lower than on a three speed and same 1 to 1 high gear. I run a 34-tooth motor sprocket on my WL with no problem. Considering the 8% lower first gear this is like running a 32.2 tooth motor sprocket when starting in first gear. I had a 29-tooth motor sprocket on the servi, but it was too high on hills. Since changed back to a 27-tooth sprocket Greatly increases top speed. Install by factory manual, just substitute first where reverse would be. I have had problems in both conversions with aftermarket main shafts. Stepdown for second gear is slightly off and had to use largest endplay spacer at clutch gear and use no gasket with sealer at side cover door. Just have to fool around some with the spacers.

Comment

Buster thanks a lot pf good info there.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster View Post
                  As far as I know, all conversion kits are made for later 3 bolt trans case. Within the last year or so I have done the VT 4 speed conversion on my Servicar and WL. It works very well. First gear is 8% lower than on a three speed and same 1 to 1 high gear. I run a 34-tooth motor sprocket on my WL with no problem. Considering the 8% lower first gear this is like running a 32.2 tooth motor sprocket when starting in first gear. I had a 29-tooth motor sprocket on the servi, but it was too high on hills. Since changed back to a 27-tooth sprocket Greatly increases top speed. Install by factory manual, just substitute first where reverse would be. I have had problems in both conversions with aftermarket main shafts. Stepdown for second gear is slightly off and had to use largest endplay spacer at clutch gear and use no gasket with sealer at side cover door. Just have to fool around some with the spacers.
                  All true WR are three bolt case but with special clutch gear, race, and case to use the narrow clutch. (It wasn't better, just narrower!). If not using close ratio gears a standard WR clutch gear could be compatible with the 4 speed conversions but it would be best if Ralph Camp chimed in for the real lowdown.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Are you going to race it? If it's just for static display and occasional start up leave the tranny alone.

I do not know of any specific WR restoration books but the best one I have found for WR reading is by Alan Girdler, Harley-Davidson Racing 1934-1986 Great Book.
                    #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

WR is similar to 3 bolt case but there are differences for the clutch gear & early style clutch side seal in the clutch,not in the trans case.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post

All true WR are three bolt case but with special clutch gear, race, and case to use the narrow clutch. (It wasn't better, just narrower!). If not using close ratio gears a standard WR clutch gear could be compatible with the 4 speed conversions but it would be best if Ralph Camp chimed in for the real lowdown.
                        I have a 49 WR the tranny is 3 bolt and has the narrow clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by KNUCK View Post
                          Are you going to race it? If it's just for static display and occasional start up leave the tranny alone.

I do not know of any specific WR restoration books but the best one I have found for WR reading is by Alan Girdler, Harley-Davidson Racing 1934-1986 Great Book.
                          Knuck I ordered the book and I will take to the track but not for serious racing. I do some landspeed racing although I have 10 vintage flat track bikes and my old Z1-900 laydown drag bike (been thinking about dragging it out of retirement)

Comment

Here is a great WR site that has a ton of information and photos. beautyofspeed.com Then click on work shop to start your WR fun!
                            #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

image_39067.jpgimage_39068.jpgimage_39069.jpgimage_39070.jpg
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X