• Show
Clear All

• 45 Valve Spring Length

My valve springs are too long by this much:

Front IN: .086
    Front EX: .081
    Rear IN: .108
    Rear EX: .081

I can't find a +/- tolerance spec for this. Close enough or replace?

Better too long than too short, Rex!

They seem, at least, almost consistent, and it wouldn't be hard to grind the RI to match. But all that really matters is the installed poundage upon the seat, and its easy to shim that to spec.

(Whatever we conjure for a spec, anyway.)

Got a drillpress and a bathroom scale?

SPRGPRSS.jpg

After your seats have been re-cut, you can measure the installed spring heights, and it is possible the long springs are a benefit. The long one may suit the deepest seat.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-25-2022, 09:29 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

No drillpress, 2 vertical mills and an arbor press. I have a Baldor grinder with a 2" belt sander attachment I could use for grinding, but no fixture of squaring. Grind by hand and use machinist square close enough?

Seems like you may have a seated poundage in mind...

Comment

Originally posted by Rex View Post
        No drillpress, 2 vertical mills and an arbor press. I have a Baldor grinder with a 2" belt sander attachment I could use for grinding, but no fixture of squaring. Grind by hand and use machinist square close enough?

Seems like you may have a seated poundage in mind...
        Let us hope you don't need to grind anything, Rex!

First find your installed heights, and then record their pressures at that height. Then you can shim the springs to be equal.

As far as final pressures, I would be conjuring. It would probably run as low as forty, but I bet racers aim for twice that. Let us hope somebody with specs speaks up...

....Cotten
        PS: A trick for measuring installed heights is to assemble using just a brake cylinder spring between the collar and a shim the same thickness as the cover.

That's a sawed-off valve in the chuck in my previous pic. My arbor press worked as well...
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-26-2022, 11:28 AM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
        X