1952 Panhead Shifter Cam/Drum Differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1952 Panhead Shifter Cam/Drum Differences

What is the correct shifter cam/drum for use on a foot shift 1952 Big Twin Panhead 4 speed ? Is it the #34008-52 or the 34008-52A ? And ? What makes the two part numbers different from each other ?

Thanks, Paps

Originally posted by Paps View Post
    What is the correct shifter cam/drum for use on a foot shift 1952 Big Twin Panhead 4 speed ? Is it the #34008-52 or the 34008-52A ? And ? What makes the two part numbers different from each other ?

Thanks, Paps
    Good question, Pa!

My handshift 65s' had the early drum, for some reason.

(Along with bushed 3rd gears...)

That implies the later drum was designed for foot shifts.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Not sure, but I know that the early drums used in the foot shift tops were a welded steel stamping and some of the later tops had a drum that was machined from a casting.
      Maybe the 34008-52A reffered to the cast one

Comment

What shifter application is the 34016-52 shifter drum/cam for then ?

Comment

Paps,
          I don't understand Harley's part# system. I have quiet a few of the welded steel stamping type shifter drums and all but one is stamped 34016-52.
          This no. doesn't show up in any of my parts books, but I can tell you that they will work in all foot shift Pans.
          The cast ones will also work in all foot shifts, except FX models that use a mirrored version of it.

Comment

Paps,
            Another example of this would be the one piece kicker arm used on 4 speeds starting in '54.
            The kicker arms are stamped 33067-54, but my parts book shows it as a #33068-54, go figure.

Comment

Thank you my friend. That helps a whole lot.

Comment

My 49–57 H-D catalog lists #34008-52 shifter cam (foot shift) for 52–57 while my 58–68 H-D catalog lists #34008-52A which suggests the later PN appeared sometime after 57. But is that correct? Has anyone got other catalogs to help narrow it down?

Regarding 34016-52, I don’t see it in catalogs because it isn’t a PN. But it’s on some shifter cams as mentioned above and here’s an example. I don’t know however if this cam is #34008-52 or #34008-52A. Did they even use two different markings or were both cams marked 34016-52? I don’t know.

Was the number on a part ever used as the PN? Yes. For example, certain shifting cams were marked 2243-36 and 2243-39 and those numbers were also used as PNs.

Also the letter A (and B, C etc) didn’t always indicate a revised version of a part. For example, #2242-36 used to be the PN for a gear shifter lever and shaft but #2242-36A wasn’t the PN for a revised version of it. Instead #2242-36A was the PN for a gear shifter gear.
                Eric

Comment

Working...
                X