45 Transmission Right Side Bearing Fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 Transmission Right Side Bearing Fit

The race thrust surface is within .001 / .002 parallel with the inside of the cover milled surface measured with a depth gauge, and the cover has a nice snug fit with the case. The shaft rolls nice and smooth on new rollers.
    Is this engagement pattern of any concern? I used a crossing pattern to tighten the screws and nuts on the cover and notice if that isn't tuned in correctly the shaft won't turn. Trans hasn't been put in service, this is an observation made during endplay fitting.

How good can we expect this sort of assembly to get given the presence of a gasket?

My question is how good is good enough?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rex37W; 08-18-2020, 07:39 AM.

Because of the design, the 45 case alignment between the clutch gear race and the side cover race is not near as good as the alignment of the big twin 4 speed at both ends of the main shaft.

Always tighten the screws in the side cover first, then the four side cover studs. If main shaft still doesn't spin freely, and it's not bent, increase bearing clearance in the side cover race from the recommended .0008" to .0015". If that doesn't correct the problem, increase roller clearance at the clutch gear to .0015".

If main shaft is still tight, increase clearance between the main shaft and the clutch gear bushing to .005" from the .002" recommended clearance.

If you have to increase all three clearances mentioned above, you will have no problems with the tranny, it will last many years to come.

Comment

Where beside here is this knowledge available? Mine was jammed up tight until I did the blue dye test and found tightening the top 2 studs allowed it to spin, so that seems to go along with the screws first, studs last technique. My concern is the unequal roller contact around the race surface. Would increasing the clutch gear roller clearance be the best 1st step to letting the shaft run in the cover race better? At this point it turns smooth as silk, I just don't like the contact distribution.

Comment

Currently the clutch gear bushing/main shaft clearance is .0016, spec=.002, range=.0015 to .0025. I have a reamer that will open it to .0022, but it's a straight flute and the bushing has a shallow @ .1875 wide straight oil groove. Probably won't go well. (This is a replacement bushing for this new clutch gear, the first bushing was +.012 right out of the box). Might have to make my own bushing & groove it after sizing.

Now for the bearing surface of the new reproduction clutch gear. Current clearance is .0001, It's .0006 oversize with a subtle but definite spiral quilt lathe chatter pattern (photos available if needed). This leads me to believe that it isn't properly ground. A large percentage of parts I've received seem to have not received the last one or two production operations performed. My current rollers are standard size in both locations ans still too tight. If there are undersized roller bearings available please let me know, I haven't seen any.
        Last edited by Rex37W; 08-18-2020, 08:24 PM.

Comment

The 45 gearbox is very forgiving if one holds all the tolerances, clearances, and fits. The mainshaft is only supported by the clutch gear bushing on one end and the roller bearing on the other end, though the clutch gear itself is supported by roller bearings. Bore locations of the end cover and case were determined during production. No inline reaming or boring was performed. Parts are interchangeable because of this.

Comment

The gasket is part of the end play. Two studs and a reverse gear shaft are the dowels for alignment. When setting mainshaft endplay never leave the clutch push rod seal parts in the clutch gear or one will obtain a false endplay measurement.

Comment

Rex37W,
              If your bearing clearance is actually .00001" as you stated, the first thing to do would increase that clearance to at least .0008". If not, I can all but guarantee that you that the transmission will get hot and seize.

No one that I know of makes undersize rollers. 90% of the time, if you are using N.O.S., or parts with little wear, standard size rollers will not allow you to achieve proper clearances.

Harley used to make as many undersized rollers as they did oversized. I ran out of those years ago. You must hone the races to achieve proper clearance.

Comment

Rex37W,
                Forgot to add:
                If your clutch gear bushing has straight oil grooves,as the Eastern ones do, use a flex hone to size, instead of a straight flute reamer.

Comment

Yes, seize for sure, don't want to tell that story. Here is the surface of the clutch gear bearing surface which is .0006 over size, and the "standard" .1250 rollers average .0002 oversize which leaves me with .0001. If this were on you bench what would you do?
                  Attached Files

Comment

I would never use that clutch gear. My first choice would be OEM good used or NOS. Second choice would be clutch gear mfg. in Europe.
                    Flatland Motorcycle Company and any Samwel dealer would have those. You do not want to use anything made in India inside your 45 tranny.

Comment

Return request sent. Were you referring to W&W as the European source?

Comment

Not familiar with W&W, Samwel is in the Netherlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Paps View Post
                          When setting mainshaft endplay never leave the clutch push rod seal parts in the clutch gear or one will obtain a false endplay measurement.
                          This build is a total replacement of everything in the case wall to wall except the shifter gear. I'm following the Army Tech Manual sequence to the letter so at this pace I won't be reaching for them for a month or more.

Comment

RCamp: You do not want to use anything made in India inside your 45 tranny

India, oh man have I had enough if India. I maintain a 2000 Royal Enfield Bullet for my brother. The most miserable mechanism I've ever encountered.
                            Last edited by Rex37W; 08-21-2020, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex37W View Post
                              This build is a total replacement of everything in the case wall to wall except the shifter gear. I'm following the Army Tech Manual sequence to the letter so at this pace I won't be reaching for them for a month or more.
                              I hope you do not have the error version of the Army tech manual where the shifter fork measurement clearances are reversed than they should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X