.010 rings in std. and 005 over bore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .010 rings in std. and 005 over bore

Im replacing the cylinders on my 38 Chief with one nos std cylinder and nos piston,one .005 over with nos piston.
    I have nos .010 rings on the shelf.
    Open the end gaps to fit or purchase std. probably import rings?Maybe slight increase in drag.
    Or--anyone got a set of nos chief std. bore rings for sale?
    Thanks
    Tom

Why not file for the rings? That is what I would do. .010" over rings gives you an extra .030" to work with. It works well in small has engines. We use to file fit up to .016" compensating rings in our tractors with no issue.

Comment

I know it's been done successfully over the centuries. Manley used to recommend it when they sold the tool.
      However: the increase in radial tension, and the percentage of elasticity (how far can the ring be bent before losing its shape) argue against it. I've read that when it's bent to a tighter radius it's not as "round" as the manufacturer intended.
      I'd probably do it anyway.
      The Linkert Book

Comment

Originally posted by kitabel View Post
        I know it's been done successfully over the centuries. Manley used to recommend it when they sold the tool.
        However: the increase in radial tension, and the percentage of elasticity (how far can the ring be bent before losing its shape) argue against it. I've read that when it's bent to a tighter radius it's not as "round" as the manufacturer intended.
        I'd probably do it anyway.
        The difference in ten one-thousandths of-an-inch here is, to put it mildly, "negligible." Between zero, five and ten-thousandths there's nothing to sweat. The engine will not protest, rings will work fine, no difference when warmed up to operating temperature.
        Gerry Lyons #607
        http://www.37ul.com/
        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
          Why not file for the rings? That is what I would do. .010" over rings gives you an extra .030" to work with. It works well in small has engines. We use to file fit up to .016" compensating rings in our tractors with no issue.
          I should have been more clearer, an extra .030" on the ring gap. The circumference is .030" longer.

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
            ...Maybe slight increase in drag...
            Tom
            Please note, Tom,

Some modern rings have too much drag to begin with.

I measured them as shown with a bathroom scale, but fail to remember the specs, or how to remedy.

This pic was uploaded long ago, and if we could find the thread, it might have clues.

....Cotten
            Attached Files
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Ryan is right on the difference. The math: the change is circumference (distance around the bore) = the diameter change X Pi, or 3.1416.
              The Linkert Book

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.I realize I can fit them,but Ideally would like to source some nos std. or name brand made in USA rings,which is what the .005 would use also as nobody made .005 over rings.
                Std original rings seem to be the most likely to be laying on somebody's shelf as well as std nos pistons which I was lucky to source on ebay not that long ago.
                The cylinders were found long ago before prices went crazy.
                Funny I think I can buy std. Dixie piston set with pins and rings for about half cost of ordering just rings from Stark or Greer.
                Garys pistons and rings are from Tiawan,which I have heard good things about,and Greer used to advertise
                Hastings rings but no longer say that so I would assume Import,but I havent called them yet.
                Tom the bathroom scale idea is nice,I use one to check valve spring pressure after seeing the idea in of your old posts,but with no specs and no way to correct other than different rings,not much point,although I do have a later .010 over cyinder and piston that I could put my .010 rings on and compare but I think I am starting to overthink it.
                Thanks again for the replies,
                Tom

Comment

Tom!

Four pounds sticks in my mind,..

(But there is so little left of it.)

Modern oil rings were a problem,... I think,.. and the expanders needed tweaking.

...Cotten
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-06-2019, 09:44 AM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Hey Tom,My only problem with import original style cast iron rings was a wtf moment when one snapped in half spreading with my fingers to put on the piston,something that never happened to me for,although that really means nothing ,and probably my fault.
                    I dont really care for the 3 piece oil rings or chrome compression rings.
                    Tom

Comment

I broke a DIXIE Superior or two, myself Tom!

And that was with a proper expander.
                      Now they would have two more decades of crystallization.

Standards are something I never stocked in inventory.

But I'll look when I can; (Its 'sposed to be 70F today, and the shop lot needs cleaning, bad.)
                      They might be with pistons.

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Looked a minute through the dust bunnies, Tom!

Sorry, but only found oversizes; One set labeled ".020" Chief, one broken oil ring."

I quit building motors twenty years too late: twenty years ago.

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks for looking Tom,hopefully you found something you can use that you may of forgot you had.
                          Tom

Comment

Ha! Not likely, Tom,..

Twenty years too late twenty years ago means I should'na in the first place.

Anybody who walks in my door can make an offer on any or all of my motor and chassis hardware inventory.

Otherwise, its Exit Ebay. *gasp*

....Cotten
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-06-2019, 02:33 PM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                            X