Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S&S date coded kicker cover for 48-50

Hi

Was wondering how these look? I am restoring my 1950 FL and need a relatively early kicker cover. I see ads for these but can’t see the numbers. My vin is a 4 digit in the 2700 range, just want something that is correct. Other than an original, I have seen ads for V-twin as well, is there a difference? I have so little a/m on this bike I don’t want to do something that’s obvious.

Craig

I installed an S&S cover on my '50 EL until I find a good repairable, correct year cover. When I bought the bike from the original owner's son, it had a pig snout type cover on it. Obviously, this was a 1960's replacement for a damaged original cover. The S&S covers look good and has a G 6 code on it. Besides, half of the date plate is is hidden behind the crank spring. It's a good quality, USA made part.
    Craig

Comment

I have seen S&S and OEM covers that are date coded E7 I think as the latest I have noticed, I don’t find Palmers book explains exactly which code should be on the 1950 (early 1950) I know tha cover is considered 1948-1952 but not sure if there are several date codes on these. Would an E7 date code have been used for several years or would they have changed? Wondering what I should be looking for? I don’t mind using an S&S one as long as the date code is correct. (Let me know if anyone has a correct OEM or S&S one for sale or trade)

Thanks,
      Craig

Comment

Google tells me there were date codes for J8 as well but still does not equate to early ‘50 unless earlier codes stuck around for a bit.

Comment

Craig, for starter covers cast in 1948, after J8 you’ll find at least two more date codes: L8 and M8. These covers have casting number 33-352 raised and on a plate. Underneath the plate may be that same casting number indented.

For covers cast in 1949 thus far I’ve only seen three date codes: A9, B9 and C9. All three covers have casting number 33-352 raised and on a plate. Underneath the plate may be that same casting number indented. Below is a C9 cover from March 1949.

Could covers cast in March 49 have been fitted as original on early-1950 models such as yours (2700 range)? It’s hard to say, partly because we don’t know how many of these C9 covers were made. Were any covers cast in 1949 with date codes later than C9? I don’t know yet.

A thread on CAI in Aug 2016 revealed a few owners who have a ‘pig snout’ cover on their 1950 model Pans and the covers appear to be original. One was a late-50 but another one was earlier, having serial number 53xx.

I'll also post on CAI.
          Eric

Comment

Thanks Eric, as said on CAI, I appreciate the help. My bike is in the 50FL25** range so I am assuming closer to ‘49 style parts then ‘51.

Thanks again!
            Craig

Comment

As low as that number is your bike was likely built as early as late September to mid October of '49. Production began in August with deliveries beginning in September for the new seasons models.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Remember that for AMCA Judging that reproduction parts are allowed on restored bikes as long as it is the best available part. On an un-restored bike it would be considered a service item. That is a part that is commonly replaced during the life of a bike.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thank you Chris! That’s great as I think I might have to go the S&S route. I know very little about the judging but would like to attempt it once this bike is finished!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Dablaze View Post
                    Thank you Chris! ... I know very little about the judging but would like to attempt it once this bike is finished! Craig
                    When are any of our bikes ever "finished?"
                    They're never finished. They just grow catalog part number lists. Attention isn't all we pay them.
                    Judging for points is life-threatening. Your own.
                    Gerry Lyons #607
                    http://www.37ul.com/
                    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
                      When are any of our bikes ever "finished?"
                      They're never finished. They just grow catalog part number lists. Attention isn't all we pay them.
                      Judging for points is life-threatening. Your own.
                      "Judging" has always been good for my business, Folks!

What else would get anyone to spend their money over and over...

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776
                      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Well I don’t expect to get in a habit of it, just want to do that with one bike.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                        X