Nikasil coating on cylinder walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikasil coating on cylinder walls

I am contemplating having my '56 H-D KHK cylinder walls coated with Nikasil. Has anybody had that done? What do you think about the idea? Where is the best place in the U.S.A. to have it done?
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

We have been using Nikasil to reclaim WR & KR cylinders for several years instead of sleeving them.
    Advantages are no weakening of the cylinder and better heat transfer.
    The Nikasil seems to have some additional lubricity for the piston & rings and does not wear like the cast iron.
    The only thing that can be used to hone the bores is a diamond hone, the material is so hard.
    Both US Chrome and Millenium located in Wisconson are good.
    Bruce Argetsinger
    AHRMA Dirt Track #67J
    www.enfieldracing.com

Comment

How about PowerSeal? I just got a quote from them.
      Does it make sense to have Swain coat the pistons in addition to having Nikasil on the cylinder walls?
      My goal is to have a long lasting road bike that can be ridden at highway speeds all day long. Well, at 70 years of age, my "all day long" doesn't have as many hours in as it once had!
      George Tinkham
      Springfield, IL
      www.virmc.com
      AMCA # 1494
      1941 Indian 841
      1948 Indian Chief
      1956 H-D KHK
      1960 CH
      1964 BMW R69S
      1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Just got a quote from BoreTech for $205+ / cylinder. They imbed the carbide directly into the cast iron instead of using nickel plating to hold the carbide. Any ideas as to which technology is the best?
        George Tinkham
        Springfield, IL
        www.virmc.com
        AMCA # 1494
        1941 Indian 841
        1948 Indian Chief
        1956 H-D KHK
        1960 CH
        1964 BMW R69S
        1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Originally posted by Coolbreeze View Post
          Just got a quote from BoreTech for $205+ / cylinder. They imbed the carbide directly into the cast iron instead of using nickel plating to hold the carbide. Any ideas as to which technology is the best?
          I have the same question. I sent emails to both Bore-Tech and Millennium asking the differences or pros/cons and both email went unanswered. My question was specific to applying to cast iron base.

I know millennium does great work and nikasil is no problem on aluminum base. Bore-Tech was recommended to me from BMW folks.

I would like to know more about the Bore-Tech process and how they keep the particles intact, or do some eventually come lose and circulate?
          AMCA #10930

Comment

Andrew at Revolution Performance (Division of Millennium Tech) tells me that loose materials will be blown out the exhaust. That makes sense: It would be hard for debris to make it past the piston rings.
            George Tinkham
            Springfield, IL
            www.virmc.com
            AMCA # 1494
            1941 Indian 841
            1948 Indian Chief
            1956 H-D KHK
            1960 CH
            1964 BMW R69S
            1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

George,

Did you have this done? Do you have any pictures?

If the rings are scraping the cylinders up and down, I could see anything that is dislodged on the top side of the rings would get blown out, but what about anything that is dislodged on the bottom side of the rings - that would be left to circulate. No?

A recent update at the Bore Tech website indicates that they are no longer an option for cylinder work due to health issues. https://bore-tech.com/
              AMCA #10930

Comment

Working...
              X