Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a source for ToughMet?

Hi folks.

I need to install new exhaust valve guides on my Harley Davidson 20F. During a very helpful conversation with Stuart from JD Jugs he has recommended guides made from an alloy called ToughMet. He recommends this material because it has 3 properties that are good for this application. It tolerates high temperatures and low lubrication plus it is strong enough to be used with a relatively thin wall on the guides.

The problem is that at the moment I cant seem to locate a supplier for this material. Obviously I don’t want large industrial quantities of this stuff, just enough to make a couple of valve guides. If not raw material then does anyone know of any other parts or products made from this that could be turned into guides.

Thanks, John

I took a look in my 1954 edition of Woldman's Engineering Alloys, which lists alloys by trade name. I did not a listing for "ToughMet". It might help if you could tell us if this is an iron base alloy or copper base.

Comment

Sorry,

This is a Copper/Nickel/Tin alloy.

It was a long shot that someone in the USA might know of a US source who could sell me a small quantity of this material because my wife is in the USA next week and I could have had it delivered to her hotel. I am struggling in the UK to find a small quantity although I have spoken to a company here who have a similar material that they say they have superseded ToughMet with. I am currently evaluating the differences between the 2 before I decide if I am going to go with it.

I was only looking for this specific stuff because it had been recommended to me for this application.

John

Comment

John, that mix sounds like Ampco Bronze. Ampco is a trade name in the U.S. and their hard bronzes come in many alloys. Years ago, I briefly worked for Bo Laws Performance and they built Nascar, and drag racing engines. They used Ampco Bronze valve guides in their engines. . . I had nothing to do with building their engines, in case someone is disgruntled

http://datasheets.globalspec.com/ds/...8-920C10ABD97B
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks eric,

Ampco Bronze does indeed sound similar in properties although it is a different alloy with Aluminium and Iron in the mix and no Tin. There are a few alloys that seem to have similar properties to ToughMet and if I cant find any ToughMet I will go with one of the others. Its just that ToughMet has been tested on more than 1 Cannonball so that was my first choice.

John

Comment

I can understand where Tin, in the ToughMet alloy may offer lubricity. I understand your dilemma, John. Being a metallurgist would certainly be useful, but you still have the problem of quantity, and not wanting to buy a minimum order. I wonder if you could contact some engine builders in your area, or source a ToughMet guide for another application that you could re-machine to suit your needs.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Re: Looking for a source for ToughMet?

Thanks for the suggestions eric,

There are a couple of materials I am looking at and if all else fails I can always use cast iron. I will give it another week until SWMBO gets back from your side of the pond with my new valves and then make a decision.

As an aside my wife rolled her eyes (in the way I am sure is familiar to you and other guys on here) a couple of weeks ago when I asked her if she could bring back a few small parts if I got them delivered to her hotel.

In the meantime I am learning lots about piston rings. I will reveal why in a future update on my 20F

John

Comment

Didn't look to hard, did ya. If I remember right, we used to call this stuff copro-nickle. Was great for heat exchanges using salt water.
                http://www.farmerscopper.com/toughme...el-bronze.html
                Last edited by Robert Luland; 01-15-2017, 01:04 PM.
                AMCA #3149
                http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Re: Looking for a source for ToughMet?

Ah, thanks Bob. I only looked at the first 3 pages of my google search and that supplier wasn’t listed.

Perhaps its a google.co.uk thing rather than using .com. Here google.com reverts to .co.uk

I will call them tomorrow.

Thanks again.

John

Comment

I read the link that was posted about the Toughmet, we used Beryllium copper in the plastic injection mold world. We even used it as cavity blocks. The stuff never seemed to wear out. I bet any mold making shops has some in their bins left over from projects. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                    X