Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small hole right side of linkert? Plug or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry? Aside from $3 a gallon, the major concern is the fire hazard.

Which way is the venturi aimed?
    (The tight part should be to the front.)

Assuming it is in correctly, the next aspect to consider is daylight around the venturi. (See attachment, note arrow).
    Venturies were made of potmetal, which is a liquid like window glass, and slowly shrinking, moving, and crystallizing over the decades. The airgap plays havok with tuning as well.

The solution is to swage and machine it back to a pressfit.
    Attached Files

Comment

okay

cool, that makes sense...

its weird, i have done tons of these carbs, mostly m74 b's and neverhad this as a problem...

but damn, does this knick start easy!!!!

haha!!

Comment

Cotten,
        Thanks for thiis nice little tip just when I thought I was tooooo old to learn anything of great value...... this comes along !

Comment

Circuit transition question

Indianut!

We are all learning, and I learn more and more about how little I know about Linkerts (and Schebs) daily.

(Anyone who says they are "simple" carbs is just as mistaken as those who insist they need an accellerator pump.)

If there are any true experts out there, then someone please explain for me:

Is the transition from the idle circuit to the highspeed circuit instantaneous once the proper RPM is reached, or is there an RPM where the fuel is entirely metered by the highspeed but not enough to completely pull air backwards through the idle circuit? Or does it gurgle back from the idle spring collar first?
          Is there a state where no air is drawn at all, yet nothing is purging from the idle bleeds?

And why do I find different heights of spring collars with no mention in the literature? (Or is there?)

And why are there "tit"s upon the idle bleed well cap and rear gallery plugs on some models?

Thanks in advance for any clues!

Comment

I don't know a thing.

I feel you would see some over lapping.

I don't feel the idle circuit would ever contain air. Vaccume.

2 cents. and by the way- great tech photo Cotton!

Comment

At moderate speeds (~35 mph on an HD 45" for example), the idle circuit completely reverses itself to draw air from the idle bleed holes all the way back down to the bowlstem, and then into the nozzle well to emusify the highspeed circuit.

(Reference: The '43 Armored School handbook)

There is nothing simple about Linkert and Schebler carbs. They are very forgiving, but quite enigmatic.

Comment

What the heck did ya'll bring me into this for? "I ain't did nuthin !!"

Comment

Indianut!

Sorry, I shoulda typed INLINE4NUT

Too many Wigwam fans and nuts among us, myself included.

None the less, nobody was getting shot at.

I was only begging for some guidance when I wrote:
                  >If there are any true experts out there, then someone please explain for me <

Somebody's got to know how these thing work. They weren't designed by aliens, but it seems like nothing short of a glass carburetor will make it all clear to me!

Comment

emusify? How about "mix". Mr. fancy words.... Your as bad as some writers.

I did not know that. Humm.... I can visualize that. Makes sense. And your initial multiple question is very good. In my mind _I see the importance of ensuring the idle circuit is clear. Cause and effect. Thanks.

you could tap a verticle vaccume line!

Hopefully someone will speak up for some insight here.

I need to tune my hi-speed. Any tips?

Comment

At the risk of sounding pedantic,
                      there is a very important difference between a mixture and an emulsion.

Observe how tap water will slowly develop airbubbles upon the side of a glass after sitting for some time. This is air that was dissolved and slowly coming out of solution. It was a mixture. Air dissolved in gasoline does little to help its atomization for combustion in a motor.
                      Add a drop of detergent to the water and shake it up, and an emulsion forms, where the tiny bubbles of air do not mix with the water, but in effect separate the water, thus increasing its total surface area thousands of times. When this happens to fuel within a carburetor, it allows for the rapid vaporization that is critical to a internal combustion engine.

"Never use a big word when a diminuative one will do."....Ridnick Wysdom

Comment

Exactaully the word I was looking for to disribe this threade. Enouff of the hole in the side of the carby....

Louuie

Comment

Your slurring yer werds a little there Louie! It looks as though you may have found the truck load of beer! Now we just need to find a drive-in for the Fastest Indian movie!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X