Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H-D transmission gate adapter question

Folks,

Here is an adapter I thought was for using a transmission with the '47 and later shifter drum with an earlier "gate" on the tanks.
    But Palmer's first addition shows a '39 prototype with it...

Apparently there could be four different ways it can be installed. Can anyone tell me which is correct? Pointy part forward with the top leaning back, or ?...
    I can't even find an OEM number off-hand,

Thanks in advance as always,

....Cotten
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-24-2016, 02:40 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

That is a reversing lever used to allow the aftermarket Atlas Big Twin shift gate to be fitted on '36-46 tanks. There isn't any H-D number because it isn't an H-D part. And there is no difference between pre '47 and '47 up shift drums, the only difference is the manner in which the shift lever is attached to the gear, up or down.
    Attached Files
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie!

But I still don't know what to tell the fellow is the correct of four possible assemblies.

I guess the pic in Palmer's is just not clear enough... but sure looks the same!

....Cotten
      AMCA #776

Comment

Look at the wear on this used one, it gives a good indication of how it was mounted.
        Why doesn't he just flip the arm, or is the bike just getting new tanks??
        Attached Files
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

When its a rust-pitted fossil reconstructed, Robbie,..

Signatures of his previous assembly are gone.

Yours appears that the rod with cotter pin was opposite of what he found, for what that's worth.

A tear-down to flip the lever would be more trouble than asking which way the adapter went,... or so we thought.

....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-24-2016, 05:12 PM.
          AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
          X