WLA clutch gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLA clutch gear?

The teeth on my clutch gear are pitted. Are these gears in constant contact when riding?
    Trying to decide wether to replace. I'm in my usual quandary, am I overdoing it, or being cheap?

Your WLA tranny is a constant mesh transmission, all gears are in constant contact with another gear.

Depending on how bad the pitting is would determine it's reliability.

Was it pitted when the tranny was built, or has water gotten into the transmission?

Comment

The bike was not running and had no oil in it when I bought it. It did have some rust in the engine and a little in the tranny. Had pitted cluster gear in Trans and a couple tappet rollers.

Comment

If races and rollers in tranny have rust you are taking a risk by riding it as is.

Serious damage can result, I'd want to have the tranny gone through.

Comment

I looked at it a little closer in the bright sunlight. They're pitted pretty good. Maybe they were rusty at one time and them cleaned, or run with water in it. Don't know. The area where the seal is has wear to where I can feel it so I'll just replace the clutch gear and call it a day.

Comment

Beware of the India made replacements, quality control all over the place. I have found shafts that dogs will not go on, countershaft gears too long and also too big in diameter, making no tooth to tooth clearance. Double lip seal will work where single groove exists. It's a shame that a quality USA manufacturer will not invest in making good gears for a small but needed market.

remember there is no, except for oil drag, load on countershaft gear while locked in 3rd gear. Like RCamp advised have and expert look at it, depending on how deep and overall condition of pitting. I would trust an original oem gear with minor pitting over some replacements on market.

Comment

Thanks. Thanks for the headsup on the ones made in India. I'll check for NOS or run the one I have. So, when are the clutch gear teeth engaged?
              Last edited by DCoul; 04-18-2016, 03:25 PM.

Comment

DCoul,
                If you mean, "when are the clutch gear teeth meshed with another gear" that would be all the time.

The clutch gear teeth are meshed with the counter shaft cluster gear all the time, but only have load applied to them when in 1st or 2nd gear.

Comment

Thanks R Camp. That's exactly what I was wondering. When is the load on them. A little whining in 1st and 2nd I can live with. I did put a NOS cluster gear in there though. Hate to mess that one up with pitted teeth against it. (Having arguments with myself again).

Comment

I ended up getting a NOS clutch gear off ebay. It came in an AMF box. It appears to be the real deal but the machining is no where as nice as the original. The splines that the clutch hub go onto look like they were cut with a bench grinder leaving a burr. It's not going to hurt anything but sheesh!

Comment

Working...
                    X