Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HX Throttledisc angles?

Folks,

Does anyone have specs for the various throttledisc angles on HX Scheblers?

T'aint easy to measure at'all.

Thanks in advance (and I'm not holding my breath on an answer either).

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Many thanks to the Webkahuna!

I had forgotten this completely: http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...tle+disc+angle
    Now I need a better way to measure angles than by eyeball on a mandrel. I keep getting only 10 degrees by math on 3/4" and 1" models.

....Cotten
    PS: Is Tommo still with us? Most of these discs are so battered that laying them on mandrels of known angle against a straight-edge is futile.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-02-2016, 10:38 AM.
    AMCA #776

Comment

Tom
      Just back from holiday.
      Will reply in detail soon.
      Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
      A.M.C.A. # 2777
      Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Looking forward to it, Tommo!

Particularly since I cut four different discs for an HX181 this weekend, and only an 11º even touched the idle screw. 10º seemed to work before...
        And sweet cheeses the variety of needle lengths has me pulling the last of my hair out!

Why do they show up with the wrong ones...

...Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

Tom; is the throttle disk angle important on the Schebler, or the Linkert, for that matter. I would imagine that could be a loaded question, but can you dumb it down for me?
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Eric!

It don't get no dumber than me. (Except on ebay, of course.)

Tommo quoted higher angles than I can get to cross over the idle screw.
            I probably did something else wrong.

Pretending that this relates to DLXs or Linkerts,.. the lower the angle, the closer to the small idle bleed hole the disc closes, or cross-over to ninety degrees upon the HX idle screw.
            But HX Scheblers don't even have idle bleeds, so I am literally flatulating in the absence of light.

(Just like cutting custom needles for every one so that it will actually shut off the nozzle when fully closed. It must be a mistake, as none of the original needles will do that.)

But the lower the angle for either DLX or HX, the closer the disc comes to not shutting at all, but spinning open the other way.
            DLX/Linkerts have balanced bleeds, but HX Scheblers have only the idle screw that hopefully is precisely fitted to the cutaway upon the throttledisc.

I am out of my mind to even try.

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-13-2016, 05:03 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

I ask Tom; because I am struggling with the HX on my early J Harley. I have to wonder if the HX Schebler series was that difficult to dial in considering how many motorcycle manufacturers used the Schebler. The instructions seem simple enough, but the application is where my frustration lies. Thanks in advance to you, and Tommo.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Well Eric and All,

I have found by trial and error that anything over 11º for the throttle disc won't touch the idle screw, and 10º seems best.
                From what little feed back I have gotten, they are not that difficult once the leather has been replaced with teflon or that other plastic, and of course, everything else is in order.

Off topic, but does anyone have the correct venturi size for a GX-4?
                The "Indianmotorbikes" reference and the one on my bench agree, but it has obviously been over-bored to 1 1/16", and a GX-1 has been over-bored from 3/4" to 7/8" as well.
                Making insert venturis is only tedious, not a problem, but I need a good spec!

Thanks in advance... of course...

.....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                X