Kuncklehead/Pan 3rd Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kuncklehead/Pan 3rd Gear

I'm setting 3rd gear (35306-59) onto a main shaft and I need opinions on two questions:

With the different sized 3rd gear washers (35365-36) now available, I'm able to tighten up the 3rd gear run-out, but I don't want to excessively side-thrust against the 3rd gear retaining ring when things get warm. I'm thinking that 0.10" cold clearance seems reasonable and should allow this notoriously noisy gear to run quietly. I'm using the post '58 main shaft third and cluster gears in this transmission. Does this seem assumption seem correct?

Also, the 3rd gear retaining rings (35337-36) that are sourced from my friends at Eastern don't fit nearly as tightly as the OEM rings. This worries me, as you can actually turn the ring manually with relatively little force when its seated in the main shaft landing. It's probably OK as I can side-load it pretty well and it doesn't jump out of the landing. But given the downside if the ring does jump out, my experience tells me that this should be a moderately tight in the main shaft groove, as were the OEM retaining rings. Does anyone have as source that they've successfully used for a heavier retaining ring?

Thanks....
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill, that retaining ring is still available from HD and fits properly. As long as the groove hasn't rounded over, I can't see it getting pushed out. How's the XLCH coming?
    Ride 'em. Don't hide 'em.
    Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

The factory still supplies that lock ring ?!? Looks like I'll have to break tradition and actually walk into a modern day dealership :-(
      Thanks for that information!
      The XLCH is up on its kickstand and is sidelined while the '47 occupies the lift. When the knucklehead transmission is back in and I locate and resolve what appears to be the beginnings on an intake leak, the Sportster goes back on....
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill I doubt you will walk out with it. They will probably have to order it unless it is an old dealership. Jerry

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
        The factory still supplies that lock ring ?!? Looks like I'll have to break tradition and actually walk into a modern day dealership :-(
        Thanks for that information!
        The XLCH is up on its kickstand and is sidelined while the '47 occupies the lift. When the knucklehead transmission is back in and I locate and resolve what appears to be the beginnings on an intake leak, the Sportster goes back on....

Comment

Working...
        X