Harley 45 gearbox side coverbearing differences question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley 45 gearbox side coverbearing differences question

The gearbox on my servi-car project is in poor shape so I picked up a WL tranny with the intention of moving the the reverse parts to it. In the initial tear-down I've noticed the servi-car's cover has roller bearings under the sprocket and the WL has a bushing. The bushed cover has the number 33-41 with a diamond/B symbol on the lower side. The roller bearing cover is a 33-41 but has a "4" on the lower side. Can or do they have to be swapped out along with the reverse gear? Are the mainshafts the same dimensionally? I have never seen this nor can I find any reference to roller bearings in any of my tech documents other than in my Palmer book. Has anybody ever seen this? I do confess that I am no expert

The bushing was likely a home made repair at some point. All 45 gearboxes from '41 up (and earlier as well but the cover is different) used roller bearings. I suspect the cover race was junk so they made a bushing to get by. Press the bushing out and inspect the roller surface on the cover race.
    The pre electric start Servi-Car tranny is the same as a solo except for the addition of the reverse gears.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
    X