make cam swap easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• make cam swap easy

Had to pull the cams on my chief, re-install. Used a trick I'd never heard of, worked very well. Maybe it's really common amongst some of you, I don't know.
    What did I do that made it so easy?

Had someone else do it??

Comment

You filled the gearcase with peanut butter to hold it all in place?
      Or was it something else?
      Do tell.
      Mark Masa
      www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Originally posted by MMasa View Post
        You filled the gearcase with peanut butter to hold it all in place?
        Or was it something else?
        Do tell.
        No peanut butter, but holding followers and pushrods was the ticket. Timing the gears was easier, also, in this method.
        Maybe a few hints: 1. drained fluids 2. in 3rd gear 3. spark plugs out
        4 (most important. Gravity is your friend

Comment

Okay, nobody's interested anymore so for closure's sake:
          I laid the bike on its left side, as level as my wood blocks would get it. This allowed the followers and pushrods to stay "up", not dangle as they would if the bike were vertical. Also, the flywheel counterweight was neutralized this way. Next, having the bike in gear (and 3rd affording the best ratio for turning it over) I applied my left ankle to the rear wheel to rotate the engine for alignment of the timing marks on the cam gears. And since there is a little lift to both cams in the position of all marks lining up, I had to rotate the front cam backwards from that position to install it, and likewise with the rear cam, counting teeth ahead of the marks and rotating back into alignment to check results. This was so easy, I had to share.

Comment

Working...
          X