Machine Shop Recommendation for Crankcase repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine Shop Recommendation for Crankcase repair

I recently picked up a 1955 matchless g80 CS. While it is mostly there and it pretty good shape. There is one fairly big problem in that the oil threads on the crank case have cracked and broken. Apparently this isn't that uncommon with this bike. Can I get a few machine shop recommendations to weld and machine in new threads. I am looking for very nice high end work and am willing to pay for it.

Here are a few pictures of the bike. Unfortunately at the moment I don't have a specific shot of the damage.
    IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg

Cool looking machine.

When you have some time, post some pictures of the damaged area... and I can probably get you a good recommendation. Before settling on welding, there may be some cold repairs you can make, depending on the situation. Welding on cases can cause all kinds of interesting problems, not the least of which is oil-contact areas can be very hard to weld 'clean.' The aluminum ends up puddling down into a nasty slag-pile as you chase 'good' metal that is not oil saturated -- a common problem with sand-cast cases. And welding you can cause dimensional changes/warping in the cases.

I see this is your first post here. Welcome aboard! There are some great folks and some amazing resources here. Cool bike and I am sure we can get you to the right people/places to get it back on the road! We look forward to following the restoration!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
    X