Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need new gear / sprocket made -- who does this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new gear / sprocket made -- who does this?

My Indian 841's primary has a combination large sprocket with a smaller straight gear on one side. It is so worn that the tranny will not stay in 4th gear. Who will do a good job of reproducing this part? How about Boston Gear?

The 3 row chain that runs on the sprocket is at (or past) the end of its service life. Who can make an endless chain to replace this item?

I would appreciate your help,
    George
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

I found a gear grinder! Boston Gear told me they would not do a specialty item like I need, but suggested Industrial Sprockets and Gears, Inc. in Santa Fe Springs, CA. This evening, I talked to Monte at that business and was told they could do the work and would make sure it was properly heat treated. I guess all it takes is money!

This would be a good time for other 841 owners to have this piece made for them. The more we have made, the less expensive it will be for each individual sprocket/gear. I am also planning on having the idler gear that meshes with this gear made also. It is better to have all new gears rather than a mix of old and new.

Has anyone heard of this business? If so, what do you think of them?
    Does anyone have a suggestion of where I can get a replacement 3 row chain? I do not know if it is the same as was used in Harleys.
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

That is some great information George, and thanks for doing that leg work. I believe Indian primary chain is the old #35 size, but I would check with Rocky Halter first. If he doesn't have it, I'll bet he could point you in the right direction.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Sporty chains are # 35 chain 94 link '57-'03/// 96 link '04-up

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
          Sporty chains are # 35 chain 94 link '57-'03/// 96 link '04-up
          I could buy that chain 2, 3, or 4-row 20 years ago at my local industrial supply house.
          Are we talking about the same thing?

Comment

He wants an endless chain-not a master link.I was letting him know what is common HD 3 row #35

Comment

The Indian 841's chain is #35H. I am told that the heavy chain (thicker plates) usually starts at #40. Has anyone heard of a #35H? Do you know where I can get it?
              The endless chain is 58 links. Hopefully, Industrial Sprockets & Gears is able to make the chain I need.
              I have IS&G's estimate, and it is exactly what I thought it would be. It looks like they will make the parts for me. I keep hoping someone out there also wants these parts. It seems like a shame to have just one set made; so, I'll probably have a couple more made in anticipation of other 841 owners who will eventually need these parts.
              George Tinkham
              Springfield, IL
              www.virmc.com
              AMCA # 1494
              1941 Indian 841
              1948 Indian Chief
              1956 H-D KHK
              1960 CH
              1964 BMW R69S
              1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
              X