Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schebler H parts needed

Coincidental to Tom's post, I am in need of 2 small parts for H type carbs:

A needle guide tube and a needle seat tube.

The needle valve guide tube is the one at the top of the stem that guides the needle to line up with the seat.
    The needle seat tube or spray nozzle is threaded up from the side of the stem and forms the seat for the needle tip.

I have dimensioned drawings to make but I thought it is worth a try to find first.

Dan
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
    Www.yankeechapter.org
    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Golly Dan,

There were lots of different HX models with at least three different sizes;
    Although I have only studied a few handfulls, I have only encountered one (so far) where the soldered nozzle was "removeable", and none suffered from a damaged or missing pressed-in guide. ("Guide" is a euphemism, as they are all just as much larger than the needles than the closest comparable mechanism: DLX or Linkert lowspeed needle "wells". Who can explain why any are different? Even late-model M74Bs varied.)

If you have drawings, I'd really appreciate a scan for my studies. (My lathe is tied up doing silly things like floats right now, but I would like to get an associate back in gear after losing his wife, and he hates "production" work even more than I, so a few "one-offs" may do the trick.)

Tommo!

If you have any such loose hardware, please document them for us! Installed pieces might as well be at the bottom of a bucket of paint.

....Cotten
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-08-2015, 05:27 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

schebler nozzle and guide.jpgschebler cross section-page-001.jpgTom, here is my sketch. The nozzle was bent and damaged some how. I was able to heat the solder and turn it out. on a couple other carbs I have, the "head" wasn't even ground off. As far as the needle guide, I find that there is a smaller diameter about 1/2 way. I believe this is to guide the needle to the nozzle seat with some precision. The top is bigger, I believe, to account for the arc the needle makes when the liver lifts it. On this guide, the id is quite worn, and I figure if I need to make the nozzle, I can make the guide. I was lucky enough to get an NOS guide previously for one other project. In my sketch I drew the guide and nozzles on the same centerline. Actually, the aren't as can been seen in the cross section from a Schebler manual. I'd be happy to get a couple sets from you.
      Dan Margolien
      Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
      Www.yankeechapter.org
      Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Dan!

Is this a [i]nominal] 3/4", 1", or 1 1/4" model?
        And any stampings at all? Is the model it was found upon a clue?

Apparently somebody thought the nozzle was an obstruction.
        Did you then tap the guide out through the nozzle hole? (I haven't been that brave.)
        And it may be a bit before I can inspect further the four or so on my benches.

But I must... .. ..

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-09-2015, 05:18 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I've got NOS nozzles and they are blank with no jet holes.
          As far as I'm aware you drill the jet hole from the top after the nozzle is installed and as well as guiding the needle into place the guide holds the schebler tool, that you insert from the top, to drill the jet hole.
          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
          A.M.C.A. # 2777
          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg8.jpg
            Tom, all: I have these 4 small HX- all measure approx .95 in the bore at the disc. I also had rebuilt an HX181 which is substantially the same construction. I post these to show some differences. only 1 has marks on the top of the intake "bulb" Z and 6. That is the shiny brass one. That's the one getting the new nozzles. It came from a 1915 Henderson. The other three came from a 12 HD single, 13 HD single, 14 HD single left to right in the first pic. The two outer ones have tickers the inner ones dont. The two with ticklers have a C or F cast in the top of the stem, the other two have nothing. All accept the same intake housing. Two have left manifold threads, and two are coarse. I think they are all left hand and the cylinder head is right hand for the manifold. The Henderson is coarse and so is the one that came with the 14 single. I believe the coarse threads go on a Harley twin. It does not fit the single manifolds I have. You can also see that only one has the air door on the side, which came with the 12. Using the parts book I think no air door, but tickler is correct for the 12-14. I hope you can see it, but the 2 with tickers also have the head of the screw in nozzle ground to the stem, probably to clear floats, while the two in the center of the picture have the nozzle head left on. Using a needle in the nozzle, all seat at the same distance in. On my 181 and this one I was able to remove the needle guide by using a 10-32 tap turned in a few turns, then tapping from the nozzle side. This one came out quite easily. It actually turned with the tap. I do not know what the one from the 12 has a larger intake "bulb", but the other dimensions seem the same. All have the high speed adjustment pointer on the throttle shaft. I would be happy to learn the proper carbs for each of the engines mentioned. Also, not how the Patent Applied for is moved for the one with the air door, and on the brass one, the PAT is over the APPLIED FOR. These may be clues to the years and fitments.
            Last edited by DanM; 02-09-2015, 08:32 PM.
            Dan Margolien
            Www.yankeechapter.org
            Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

These pix did not upload above.
              Dan Margolien
              Www.yankeechapter.org
              Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Tommo I sent you a Private message.......
                Dan Margolien
                Www.yankeechapter.org
                Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Hi i was wondering if anybody has made the timeless motor companys carburetor tuned ? What is required?

Comment

Hello?? Anybody there? This site working at all

Comment

AMCA member 'sirhrmechanic' is the only person I recall here, that had experience with the Timeless. I believe he did a photo essay of adapting a genuine Schebler carburetor to his motor. You have to bear in mind that the Timeless is not really an antique motorcycle, but a replica. I have to believe there are websites devoted to the Timeless, where you could communicate with fellow owners.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                      X