1947 Indian Chief Balance Factor ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Indian Chief Balance Factor ?

Anyone know the balance factor for a 47 Chief with S&S flywheels?

John!

Most original assemblies back-calculate to about 64%, as reported in the 'Theory' section of http://virtualindian.org/1techflywheel.htm.

The brand of flywheel makes little difference, as factor is independent of total flymass.

.....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

HI Cotten,
      Mike Thomas has told me he uses 60%. 64% would likely not make to much of a difference. I've been corresponding with Mike and he has taken a lot of his time explaining other problems I have. Needless to say this bottom end issue is mushrooming on me. Oh well, it's nothing money won't fix. Thanks for your response by the way.....John

Comment

You're right John,

A few percent of factor would only make differences that are subjective.
        Harley big twins of the '50s-'60s often back-calculate to the 56-57% range, so 60% has become the holy number for the Harley world, yet back in the mid-'80s, 52% was the factor to swear by. Nonetheless, motors run "smooth" at either factor, although there are subtle differences in the character of the motors' performance.

Please note that as mentioned in the Flywheel Workshop discussion, the reason for the Indian's higher factor was the different angle between the cylinders.

.....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
          John!

Most original assemblies back-calculate to about 64%, as reported in the 'Theory' section of http://virtualindian.org/1techflywheel.htm.

The brand of flywheel makes little difference, as factor is independent of total flymass.

.....Cotten
          My S & S wheels are for 80", and each wheel weighs about 1.25# less than an original Chief 74" wheel. Won't be drilling any holes in those wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
            My S & S wheels are for 80", and each wheel weighs about 1.25# less than an original Chief 74" wheel. Won't be drilling any holes in those wheels.
            Filibuster!

It is often easier to adjust the reciprocating mass than the rotating. There has been a wide range of different wristpin productions over the years.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
            X