Linkert Year Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkert Year Question

Looking for year differences. When the carb has 3 lines with the first being L&L Man---, the 2nd being Made In, now my question comes to the 3rd line. Some I have say INDIANAPOLIS USA, and others say INDPLS IND USA. The ones with Indianapolis the bowl vent seems to be a small hole right behind the Idle Needle. The ones with INDPLS have a larger hole more forward, has a larger cast area behind the backing plate mount and this is where the vent hole connects to a port. Also the area near the bottom of the idle screw port (inside the bowl area) is different. The Indianapolis ones are smooth and go all the way to the bowl threads, the INDPLS ones have a 1/4 dia boss right above the bowl threads,(I am comparing M16 carbs). My 41, 51 ,75 & 88 spell out INDIANAPOLIS where my 18s and 74Bs say INDPLS and include the different vent hole as described above. I appreciate the help. Thanks.
    Last edited by BigLakeBob; 04-10-2014, 08:47 PM.
    Bob Rice #6738

Bob!

I am not certain as to your question, as 1", 1¼", and 1½" Model Ms all had different features, and many models of those had their specific differences as well.

The ¼" diameter "boss" upon 1" models allows for the gallery drilled from the opposite side to fully cross-center with the lowspeed needle well, drilled from above.

Do you suspect a re-stamp upon a particular carb?

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I guess my main question was on 1", was there a certain year they went from INDIANAPOLIS USA to INDPLS IND USA? The hole items mentioned were other things I noticed that were particular to each embossed lettering style. Can post pics if you need. Thanks for the reply. I do not suspect a re-stamp.
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Bob!

The only 1" Model Ms on my bench currently that can be dated to any given year are Indian models, by their 1941 model number stamps.

M741s appear to have INDLPS (55 stamped on opposite side), whereas M441s have Indianapolis (56 stamped opposite).

(From photo records, it appears M841s were INDLPS. I lost my M341 pics to a computer crash....)

Hope this helps!

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-11-2014, 06:36 PM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

Cotton
          I have a M341 on the shelf, if you send me examples of what pictures you want, when I get home next month I will send them to you.
          Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
          Bob!

The only 1" Model Ms on my bench currently that can be dated to any given year are Indian models, by their 1941 model number stamps.

M741s appear to have INDLPS (55 stamped on opposite side), whereas M441s have Indianapolis (56 stamped opposite).

(From photo records, it appears M841s were INDLPS. I lost my M341 pics to a computer crash....)

Hope this helps!

....Cotten
          Last edited by kval; 04-11-2014, 10:25 PM.
          Kevin Valentine 13
          EX-Chief Judge

Comment

I may be out of line in what I'm going to say but here goes. I guess I posted this question thinking that to the judges and experts this would be a simple question to answer. Again, concerning a M16, if it was made from 1930 thru 1948 but somewhere in that time period the inscription changed, wouldn't a certain style of inscription on a M16 be correct for some years and incorrect for others. I mean if you are judging (and I'm sorry but I am kinda directing this towards kval, you are an ex-chief judge but you answered Cotton's question but didn't address mine), wouldn't you look at what I have asked when you are judging a bike? I doubt I am the first to see the difference. Just wondering when they changed or is it not as simple as I'm asking? Thanks
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

kval is an Indian Guy!

Comment

Well, Bob,...

Leaving the conjecture of the judging system out of this, it is generally accepted that '40 and later Linkerts had the L&L script.
                With no factory documentation, the patterns may well have changed, but nobody is alive to testify.
                Too many carbs have been swapped over the decades, and the fossil record is constantly molested.

Are you implying that your post-'40s M16s do not match? If so, and their model stamps are un-molested, we can suppose that indeed, the patterns did change at some time.
                Do yours match the pair in the attachment?

But until two pristine low-mileage original paint (even upon the carb body) machines are un-earthed and documented without question, and illustrates such a change, such History is lost.
                This is now highly unlikely, and the destructive AMCA "restoration" judging rules share the blame.

...Cotten
                PS: Kevin!
                Any and all carb documentation would be appreciated, but please limit your pics to ~500kb or less for each email (liberty@npoint.net), or my dial-up freezes. Thanks!
                Attached Files
                AMCA #776

Comment

I apologize if I come off too brash in my post. I try to assemble the bits and pieces I have and just assumed this difference between the carbs was a given and everyone already knew the answer. Just went for a 100 mile ride through 2 lane OH backroads to shake the winter dust off, again I'm sorry if I came on too strong. Attached are some pics. Left carb is always on the left. Please refer to post #1 describing the differences shown in the pics. I appreciate any help in figuring out when the change was made.
                  Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Bob!

You were not brash at all.. but a little unclear with your question.

Your pics show that indeed there were differences in post-'40 M16s, and we all should thank you for bringing it to light. IT may be the only documentation in existance.

(Please use a dark or neutral background next time, if you can...)

So now we know such variations existed.

Here is a pair of pre-war issues with the same 53 stamping:

....Cotten
                    Attached Files
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Well Tom I appreciate you looking at my photos. I will just go with '40 thru '48 for now. Maybe someone will see this post and help out to better lock down a year change, if it is that.
                      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Working...
                      X