Trans/shifting help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans/shifting help please

Hi, I recently installed a 4 speed gear set on my 64 Fl and feel/felt I shimmed, timed, n aligned everthing correctly but when I ride it I am having trouble getting out of first. At low rpms a little gas with clucth disengaged and I can shift to second but it's not easy or at higher rpms as I am just lowering my heel I can push it out of first into second, but without wither of those nudges I cannot get it to shift out of first . Second to third n into forth are fine and downshifting is good all the way down to first. I can shift into neutral while sitting still by just rocking back n forth a tiny bit. So it seemed maybe clucth plates were gummed up n studs on hub were too grooved so i installed new friction discs n a hub. It is a little easier getting out of first but it's not right, way too hard, something is wrong. I've never had a tranny and or clutch act like this and I am stumped. What am I missing here? I'm figgering the tranny has to come back out but as stated I was pretty satisfied with how it was set up, and also had an very experienced wrench briefly check it out n got a nod from him so at this point I don't know what I'm looking for. So please guys any help, thoughts or ideas on this will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Make sure you have clearance between the shift roller (top hat) and the drum. Also between the top of the fork and the drum. If either of those touches the shifting will be very difficult. It is a common problem if shift forks were replaced. Also check the clearance on the low/second shifter clutch to shift fork. Some forks are too long between centers and create drag on the shift clutch.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I agree with what Robbie said,seen the same things over and over-Andrews forks -I always file a lead in on the forks as well

Comment

Good info guys, I will have the tranny out n open tomorrow n hopefully I can see something askew now that I know where to look. Thanks!

Comment

Rubone and Duffy make good points, I've done a few transmissions where shift forks contact the shift clutch and create a bind in the action. If you replaced the main gear bushing, it may be too tight on the main shaft. A thousandth or two make a big difference. If the bushing is tight, shifting will be hard and the bike will want to "creep" when in low gear. Fred.
          Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Comment

So I pulled the tranny and found nothin abnormal except where the ball rides on the drum. There was more wear between 1st n 2nd so I pulled the plug and the ball didn't want to move and I had to pry between the drum and ball to get it out. Cleaned and inspected everything and it all seems fine so I put it all back together again and took it out fer a spin. There are good shifts and some not so good but if I go easy and shift at low rpm it goes fine but sometimes at the top of first it still won't go without a little rev, then it does. Wierd. I guess I prolly had the adjustment on the plunger spring too tight, (now I am just finger tight) and have to get used to the 'tractor gears' n shift early. Could also be the bike not knowin how to act with all these new parts on her, either way I'm runnin it. Thanks fer the help n hopefully c yas in Oley.
            Last edited by sprglde; 04-06-2014, 07:52 PM.

Comment

A friend told me if it shifts ok on the bench it'll shift on the bike so I opened up the stud holes a little bit on the new friction discs, as recomended, n put in some old bufferless steel discs and it works fine. Why did it act up only outta first n into second is still a mystery but it's all good. Now if it would just stop snowing and warm up...

Comment

Keep in mind that the low to second shift has the largest speed differential between input and output than any other gear. So friction and synchronicity are all working against you in lower gears.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                X