Ul cylinders - are there any out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
    120-37 is a 1937 front "U" cylinder. They are thick-walled, and were used on both 74s and 80s in 1937. Which meant if you had bought a U or UL 74 you could build it right through abt to about 3 7/16" +.070 ULH sizes using those cylinders. When you hit 3 7/6" you could install a Linkert M51L in place of the M51 and be right up to speed for the engine displacement.
    Thank you very much for the reply! I'm new to AMCA and it's great to have people with so much knowledge help out! I have one more question? I don't want to get into a totally different subject from the original. But ul's never came in 80ci right? If I made it an 80 it would still just be a ul. I'm ultimately looking to build a ulh and came across this motor. The guy said it's an 80 ci but it's a ul. Thanks again!

Comment

Dan,
      A UH and ULH are 80CI. A U or UL is 74CI. The H is how H-D designated the difference. It is possible to rebuild either one as something other than how it came, but the designation dictates it as what it truly was originally.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Early Iron MC View Post
        Yes S&S is not going to produce the flathead cylinders any more, not sure about the heads yet.
        Does anyone know why S & S would give up on a project they spent so much time and money on buying Flathead Power? I had great hopes that with them doing production in the States we would final get cylinders that were correct. I had bought some from Anders in the late 90's and sleeved them with Melling cast iron sleeves so the rings would seat, and they are still on the road today stock bore.

With all the poor quality crap coming from India, China and Pakistan it was nice to think an American Company would do it right. Shelby

Comment

Working...
        X