VL Engine - Flywheel and Crankcase Assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Engine - Flywheel and Crankcase Assembly

I wanted to verify the VL crankcase assembly with the experts here. Once the flywheel is balanced and trued; the sprocket shaft side gets the 417-30 cages and rollers with the 425-25 collar. The open end of the cages go against the collar, the rollers into the left hand side race, a 358-17 thrust collar (of the appropriate thickness) and then fit sprocket shaft in the bearing assembly. If the RHS case bushing is okay then the right case goes on and crank shaft assembly end-paly is measured. I'm guessing that the pinion side of the flywheel contacts the right case 413-30 bushing - in other words - no thrust collar there. Did I get this wrong?

That's right Howard, and don't forget the 421-30 sprocket lubricating bushing is in the left hand case under the case bushing.

Comment

Thanks ! Much appreciated

Comment

Another question about the flywheel group. If oil is squirted through the end of the pinion shaft (squirting towards the case) should oil squeeze through the crank pin and be visible at the rod ends? If so - a little or a lot?

Comment

Dear Howard, I've never tried it but that is what is supposed to happen. It looks good on the engine blueprint, but I wonder how much oil goes through the pinion shaft compared with the splash lubrication afforded by those flywheels whirling round in the cases. I don't recall earlier Harleys being susceptible to crank pin failure from lack of lubrication. The oil pump does about one US gallon per 800 miles, which is about 5 cc per mile, which is not a major amount even if it all makes it to the crankpin.

Comment

Thanks again, Steve. Much appreciated !

Comment

Working...
            X