47 Indian Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 Indian Chief

I'm looking for the correct shade of black paint for the cylinders on a 47 Chief. What other motor and transmission parts should be black or painted another color?
    Kerry AMCA # 15911

Kerry, I'm going to answer in the hopes that it might stimulate some more conversation!

First, any high heat paint I've used has lost it's gloss and turned more of a satin finish after a few heat cycles. But I'm not certain what a factory Chief left Springfield with, maybe it was glossy?

Then, for the rest of the motor transmission there's really no paint... except for maybe the head bolts, cylinder base nuts, coil strap, and cable clips... should be black I believe.

Intake is silver (cad plated???), cast iron oil pump body is cad plated, copper oil and fuel lines are cad plated, distributor advance is silver (cad?), shifter bell cranks are silver (cad?)... what am I missing?

Now, let's hear from some experts!
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Would Hatfields restoration guide have the information you are looking for?

Just slap some paint on em and ride on......

Some might say flat for heat dissipation reasons.
      AMCA #10930

Comment

Hello Kerry,
        I looked thru all the reference material I have and and all I find is after '39 the cylinders were painted "black". Can't find anything about glossy, semi-glossy, satin, nor flat,,, just black.

I have used Rust-oleum high heat semi-glossy on one bike and high heat satin on the another and after a few months they
        look pretty much the same.

Since Indian cylinder fins are close together and deep I found the rattle can spray didn't really get to the bottom and cover very well. After a short time rust could be seen deep in the fins. What has helped with this is I now use the Rust-oleum that comes in a quart can and apply it with a super cheap "touch-up" Harbor Freight spray gun with an also cheap air regulator. Turn the air pressure down to where it will only just spray. Not enough air pressure to blow the paint right back out of the fins.

Sorry I can't help more with what actually came on the cylinders from the factory.

BTW, will a see you at the kick start get-together at Hermleigh on the 3rd?

Comment

Thanks for the replies. If I don't hear different I'll spray them Glossy. I've had excellent results with the epoxy appliance paint. Plastikote brand is my 1st. choice. After curing well it's chip and chemical resistant. Yea Jack, those fins are close and deep. I always give 3 coats with the cyl's. upside down concentrating on the backs of the fin area and working outward. Then flip them and do the same from the top of the fins. I can see this being a 4 hour project including masking.
          I'm packing for the Harvest Classic event in Luckenbach now, trying to leave this morning. Looking forward to the Kick Start Reunion. see you in a couple of weeks.
          Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

I have a 48 chief with 14000 original miles that I got in the early 80s with 7900 miles on it. I was told it was never apart. The cylinders appear to be a satin flatter black. It may be just because of age, heat cycles, or whatever but they don't appear to be gloss at this time.
            D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Working...
            X