Indian valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian valves

Is there anyone making valves with oversize stems for a Chief?
    Kerry AMCA # 15911

Originally posted by kg993 View Post
    Is there anyone making valves with oversize stems for a Chief?
    Nott that I am aware of.But why?Good guides are readily available and relatively inexpensive .The guides don't ear even,more on the bottom,and not round.Just put the cylinders in an oven @about 250 then drive out the old and drive in the new.
    I have made intakes frome 427 GM SS valves.Stems are .372 instead of .370 so you pick up .002,but the 2 1/8 heads have to cut down and the faces reground to 35deg.Not worth the effort with the parts available these days.
    Tom

Comment

I use O.S. stems whenever I can. It saves the steps of heating-removing-replacing and waiting for the mass to cool down so the new guides can be reamed and honed to size. .002 wouldn't fix this set but 3/8" stems will make the guides straight and true. That is if they were available, so far I've had no luck in finding anything other than stock size.
      Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Originally posted by kg993 View Post
        I use O.S. stems whenever I can. It saves the steps of heating-removing-replacing and waiting for the mass to cool down so the new guides can be reamed and honed to size. .002 wouldn't fix this set but 3/8" stems will make the guides straight and true. That is if they were available, so far I've had no luck in finding anything other than stock size.
        Not familiar with honing or reaming new guides.I just install with new valves,which I believe is standard practice.My 34 motor does have reconditioned guides,using spiral bronze inserts.This was only done because new guides weren't available.I have no idea how well this will work over time as I don't have many miles it.Tom

Comment

My father used to run a small freight business and used bronze valve guide inserts all the time. Thousands and thousands of miles with no trouble from them.

Comment

I have those inserts in my Henderson, 6,000 miles and all is well.

Comment

Working...
            X