KOYO bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KOYO bearings

Has anyone ever installed a KOYO #GB2610 Harley#8906 in the 82 thru 85 4 speed big twin transmission? Torrington stopped making this #. I installed one last week and was too tight for the gear fit. Ordered another one that came in today and the same problem.
    I found the recommended case and gear dimensions when working with the first bearing and all is on the mark. Left a message with KOYO and hope they will call back tomorrow.
    Kerry AMCA # 15911

Kerry, Lets start at the beginning. Are we talking about 1. Fit in case? 2. Shaft in bearing or 3. Length of bearing, meaning is the bearing protruding into the tranny out of the hole in the case. Did you mic this to the original? The bearings are industry standard so this type of thing doesn't happen but who knows what happens in China after munching down your tainted KFC breakfast? I want to work with you on this one. You have definitely got my interest on this. Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

The trans case in 82-up has a steel bushing. That measures in spec. with dimensions I got from the local bearing supply. Also I have three 4th. gears that all measure in spec. two used and one new Andrews. Each one is 1 ten thousandth different in size, the new one is largest.
      The bearing fits fine in the case, width is not an issue. The gear will not go into the bearing after installation. I found a tool that is .001" smaller than the gear surface and it almost will go in.
      I talked to the tech at KOYO this morning and was completely astonished by his arrogance. He claimed there is no record of KOYO making that bearing and led me around in circles telling me all the companies including H.D. that I need to contact.
      When I finally demanded he send me to another branch at KOYO a woman immediately found the # and also her next question was about designation B and GB, did I have the right one. A very intelligent person I have to say. Unfortunately while she was transfering me to another line I was disconected without her contact #. Maybe tomorrow I'll calm down enough to call Jason, their tech back to get connected to the other line. Sorry for the rant but I feel better now.
      Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

The trans case in 82-up has a steel bushing. That measures in spec. with dimensions I got from the local bearing supply. Also I have three 4th. gears that all measure in spec. two used and one new Andrews. Each one is 1 ten thousandth different in size, the new one is largest.
        The bearing fits fine in the case, width is not an issue. The gear will not go into the bearing after installation. I found a tool that is .001" smaller than the gear surface and it almost will go in.
        I talked to the tech at KOYO this morning and was completely astonished by his arrogance. He claimed there is no record of KOYO making that bearing and led me around in circles telling me all the companies including H.D. that I need to contact.
        When I finally demanded he send me to another branch at KOYO a woman immediately found the # and also her next question was about designation B and GB, did I have the right one. A very intelligent person I have to say. Unfortunately while she was transfering me to another line I was disconected without her contact #. Maybe tomorrow I'll calm down enough to call Jason, their tech back to get connected to the other line. Sorry for the rant but I feel better now.
        Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

The screen said to wait 15 seconds and try again to post. Now there's two, O-well.
          Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
            Kerry, Lets start at the beginning. Are we talking about 1. Fit in case? 2. Shaft in bearing or 3. Length of bearing, meaning is the bearing protruding into the tranny out of the hole in the case. Did you mic this to the original? The bearings are industry standard so this type of thing doesn't happen but who knows what happens in China after munching down your tainted KFC breakfast? I want to work with you on this one. You have definitely got my interest on this. Bob L
            "after munching down your tainted KFC breakfast? "" chicken and waffles? .. now I'm concerned.

Comment

Torrington has been part of Koyo since around 2010.The bearings are still made the same as far as I know,and still marked with the Torrington number,but sold in a Koyo box.This applies also to the B148 etc bearings as fitted as upgraded cam bearings in Evo and TC engines,the OE are INA,and prone to failure.
              Some GB bearings have a B version where the tollerances are slacker,but I don't think theres a version of the GB2610.
              As this is a cageless bearing,are you sure the rollers aren't tipped out of place?
              Does the gear fit with the bearing out of the case?

Comment

The problem is the Koyo idiots..They are marking B2610 bearings with the GB2610 marking also
                Vtwin#12-0300=HD #8905=Late '77-'81 4speed main drive gear BRNG B2610
                Vtwin#12-0349=HD#8906='82-85.........4speed " " " " GB2610
                8905 OD is slightly larger than 8906
                If you press it in to '82-'85 box it is tighter but will press in. If you push the gear in with hand it scratches the Main drive gear and locks up before you go very far
                VTwin gets them from Eastern who gets them from the Idiots at Koyo
                The only way I can see to use the B2610 in the '82-'85 box is to lap the Race like you would oversize bearings in earlier 4speeds--but how far????
                Koyo crap1.jpgKoyo crap2.jpgKoyo crap3.jpg
                Both pics same bearing
                Races not available for replacement
                Last edited by duffeycycles; 12-19-2013, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Disregard last post, the Koyo bearing pressed right in and the gear fits
                  This pic is the VTwin/Eastern made in USA bearings that I had a problem with
                  too many bearings in front of me has messed with my recent frontal labotomy!
                  on the right is the original Timken
                  very hard to measure as the outer edges are different OD than the middle
                  Eastern- Torrington.jpg
                  Stay away from the EASTERN/VTWIN bearing as shown on left

Comment

Working...
                  X