Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian 741 Chain Case Cover Removal

Hello-
    I need help removing the chain case cover on my Indian 741. Unfortunately, I'm new to this game of Indian restoration. Hopefully there are Indian experts who can help me out.
    I've enclosed a photo to show what I've done and where I'm stuck.

Let me know if I can answer any questions so you can help me.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Chain Case Cover diagram.jpg

Not an expert at anything, but my guess is the shoe that the chain rides on is hanging up on the chain. Back the adjuster out and reach up in there with a finger and push the chain up off the shoe, if it's sticking. Good luck you will git it, you need to git a manual. All the Indian shops have em, good luck and have fun with your Indian :-)

Comment

PS. the adjuster is on the bottom of the primary cover.

Comment

I'm betting Tom has highlighted the hurdle! Sometimes it's the little things that cause all the problems!!!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Little but fretful, CO!
          Could be hanging up on the hex thru-bolt at center, where footboard mount attaches, or on remaining studs/bolts. Gentle pry-action with a screwdriver nearer the front may be necessary. Also, shouldn't the idler shoe slide off of its stud if the stud sticks to the cover? This stud also could be hanging up a bit. ... I've also seen "burred" surfaces on the release worm.

Comment

Little but fretful, CO!
            Could be hanging up on the hex thru-bolt at center, where footboard mount attaches, or on remaining studs/bolts. Gentle pry-action with a screwdriver nearer the front may be necessary. Also, shouldn't the idler shoe slide off of its stud if the stud sticks to the cover? This stud also could be hanging up a bit. ... I've also seen "burred" surfaces on the release worm.

Comment

None of these answers are correct. You NEED a Manual! Turn the clutch worm gear clockwise, while pulling the cover out and it will come off!
              http://laughingindian.com/
              http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
              A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
                Little but fretful, CO!
                Agreed! The little things are always fretful until they are discovered!

Originally posted by indianut View Post
                None of these answers are correct. You NEED a Manual! Turn the clutch worm gear clockwise, while pulling the cover out and it will come off!
                I had assumed that the "clockwise" motion had been attempted when it was mentioned the cover started to come apart but then if the righty tighty- lefty loosey theory was used then I guess my guess was wrong!
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks all for the advice. I think I need to clarify a few things. First, there is no chain on the bike. It was sent to me separately. So the chain catching is not the issue.
                  Next, I do have a manual but it only goes so far. I have included another photo diagramming (hopefully) more info. Specifically that all the screws have been removed, the chain cover is not catching on the hex thru bolt, I am turning the clutch worm gear clockwise and can see the cover start to separate. It cleanly separates all the way around about 1/8" and then stops. Hopefully the enclosed JPEG gives a better idea to what is happening.

Thanks for all advice.
                  Jeff

Chain-Case-Cover-diagram2.jpg

Comment

Keep Turning the Worm Gear Clockwise while pulling the cover out!
                    http://laughingindian.com/
                    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
                    A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

Working...
                    X