Early J.A.P engine model wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early J.A.P engine model wanted

Hi All, My Name is Evan Hale O'Connor and I'm 19 years old from New Zealand. I collect and restore vintage stationary engines and I have 116 of them. I'd Like a Model
    ID for this J.A.P engine, I know its off an old mower, but i want to build a motorcycle for it, a vintage style from around 1924.
    Thanks
    Ev

IMG_3107.JPGIMG_3106.JPGIMG_3105.JPGIMG_3098.JPGIMG_3104.jpg
    Last edited by JA Prestwich; 02-22-2013, 11:37 PM.

I can't answer your question Ev but that's a cool little engine you have there. These guys might know... http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/ Oh, and welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by c.o.; 02-23-2013, 12:52 AM. Reason: added link
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by JA Prestwich View Post
      Hi All, My Name is Evan Hale O'Connor and I'm 19 years old from New Zealand. I collect and restore vintage stationary engines and I have 116 of them. I'd Like a Model
      ID for this J.A.P engine, I know its off an old mower, but i want to build a motorcycle for it, a vintage style from around 1924.
      Thanks
      Ev

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10557[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10556[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10555[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10554[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10553[/ATTACH]
      A s.v. JAP engine should be identifiable from the engine code and the bore and stroke. A first letter will designate the capacity and bore/stroke of the engine, second and third letters will give other engine particulars, then will come a "/" and a single letter following that will give the year of manufacture. The number following will be the actual engine number after which there may be a further "/" and letters indicating special features. What is stamped on the engine>

eg. "P" would indicate a 250cc side valve with bore of 62.5mm and stroke of 80 mm. /U afterwards would indicate made in 1923.
      PTO would indicate a 500cc V-twin (2x 250cc cylinders 62.5 x 80 mm) and overhead valves. /C afterwards would indicate made in 1928.

Comment

Hi, thanks very much, the sernumber is V/S/45798/S,,,, 175cc

Comment

V = 175 cc side valve, 60 mm bore, 62 mm stroke.
          /S/ = 1929 manufacture
          45798 = individual serial # for this engine
          /S = "engine made to customer's specification"

AFJ

Comment

V = 175 cc side valve, 60 mm bore, 62 mm stroke.
            /S/ = 1929 manufacture
            45798 = individual serial # for this engine
            /S = "engine made to customer's specification"

AFJ

Comment

wow thanks so much, well this will go well in my Motorcycle, hope all goes to plan

Comment

Another JAP

Hi All, I have another JAP That needs an ID,, Numbers are ID/D/96762/9
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi All, I have another JAP That needs an ID,, Numbers are ID/D/96762/9
                  350cc side valve, cast iron piston/ made in 1934/

Comment

Thanks very much.
                    Ev

Comment

Working...
                    X