25 JD tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 JD tranny

I was working my kick starter on my 25 JD tranny. It will go a few times then binds to the point it will not move even when pussing as hard as I can. I thought maybe the motor was binding but I can put a wrench on the drive gear nut and turn the motor all day long. After turning the motor in that fashion, the kicker will again work a few times then binds up again. It dosent shift all the time either as that also binds and then works after turning some by hand. There is no oil in it right now so could that couold be the problem? Any thoughts?

The starter gears jam on Harley gearboxes up to 1931, when they went to a constant mesh starter. That's why you have that 2134-16 starter gear unjammer in the top right of the case, which whacks a hardened pin into the kicker gear to unbind it. Most of the used early kicker quadrant and starter gears are pretty thrashed, so I'd start looking there. If your gearbox is a bitsa, you may just find you have mismatched starter gears, as Harley used different ones over time. The 1925 gearbox is one-year-only, so you could also have later/earlier parts elsewhere which are incorrect.

Comment

I am new to these JD beasts. I wondered what that thing was for. The parts book lists it as a shifter tension adjuster, which did not make scense to me. I will try to use it and see if that helps. Thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
      X