JD or VL Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JD or VL Transmission

I bought a 1932 Harley V about 2 years ago. The gentleman that I bought it from has had it for 40 years and was always going to restore it. It was mostly complete, but still missing a lot of little things, plus it had the wrong fenders. So I've been saving and buying a few parts here and there. Reproduction fenders one year, reproduction tanks the next year were the big ticket items. So now it's time to get dirty. I disassembled the transmission yesterday and that leads me to this posting. I believe that the transmission case is for a V (VL) since it has the drain plug in the bottom of the case instead of in front, like a JD. My mystery are four set screws in the case, 2 right above and 2 right below where the ball bearing housing (2161-16) screws into the right side of the case. So were cases made this way for a while or is this just a quick fix to hold the ball bearing housing? On the bottom of the transmission is the casting name "TENUAL". The threads that bb housing is suppose to screw into are stripped. Thanks for any input. Lippy

Tran_32.jpg
    V_32.jpg

i don't know about the extra holes, that's the right case for a 32

Comment

Dear Lippy, it looks like someone put in the set screws to compensate for the stripped threads in the ball bearing housing. The short top studs 2267-15 would normally go in the two top holes. As this may be the original gearbox for the bike, and the cast ear is not broken off, you might want to consider sleeving the ball bearing housing entry in the case and cutting new threads.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Steve, I think that's what I'll do. Lippy

Comment

Working...
        X