37 EL / UL Transmission Mainshaft 3rd Gear Bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37 EL / UL Transmission Mainshaft 3rd Gear Bushing

Hey Gearheads, I just got finished rebuilding the tranny on the 37 ULH. I took it apart because the mainshaft keyway slot was bugeered up. Had never been apart, and I ran into something I've never seen before, which was the 3rd gear mainshaft bushing on the early tranny's (36/37 I'm assuming) have a smaller O.D. than the later (currently made) ones. This was a head scratcher as every one I've rebuilt never had this problem. Around .040" too big. The bushings that are available all have -38 part numbers, so I assume that they changed the gear to a larger I.D. and the bushing to a larger O.D. JIMS, Eastern and V-Twin all carry the later bushing, as far as I can tell nobody carries the early one. I removed the offending bronze in my lathe, pressed it in and sized all the bushings with a Sunnen LB hone. Everything is back in spec now, but does anyone know if the early bushings are made? Thanks

Steve
    Steve

Dear Steve, it looks like the bushing is a carryover from the optional 1936 VL 4-speed and was used on the EL/UL through 1937. My gear company made them as part of the VL four speed third gear, but they are not available separately as spare parts. Part number is listed as 2299-36 in the 1940 parts book.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
      Dear Steve, it looks like the bushing is a carryover from the optional 1936 VL 4-speed and was used on the EL/UL through 1937. My gear company made them as part of the VL four speed third gear, but they are not available separately as spare parts. Part number is listed as 2299-36 in the 1940 parts book.
      Thanks Steve, I thought that I was loosing my mind until I looked at 3 more bushings. Learn something new every day.
      Steve

Comment

Here's another thing to watch for if your following this thread, the early (36-37) shift clutches won't fit onto the splines of the new mainshafts or countershaft clusters. They are slightly smaller. My mainshaft and cluster needed to be replaced but the gears and clutches were like new, but I can't use them....that sucks. So I upgraded to the ramp clutches and the main drive gear with the seal. So much for originality. I'll keep them in hopes of finding a NOS mainshaft and cluster. Didn't see that one coming.

Steve
        Steve

Comment

What you ran into is the reason "everyone" rebuilding one of these early, 1936-37 four speed transmissions routinely upgrade the insides to 1939 specs and parts. Parts for that transmission are dime-a-dozen, it having been built for over 40 years, and reproduced, and OEM is also available all over.

Whatcha building, a museum bike? Unless you're building a '37 for a museum of technology or something, and would want it to be completely disassemblable for study by future generations of archeo-technologists studying the early development of internal-combustion, no one worries about the ultra-rare one and two year internal parts. Even the judges can't see inside the transmission, and the cases are the same on the outside.

Another good example is the 1936-only two-piece pinion shaft in the engine. It was a bad design, driving the internal geartrain through only a flimsy tenon joint between the flywheels and pinion gear, and was replaced by later one-piece pinion shafts. Again, even the judges can't see inside your engine. And the upgrade is a thousand times safer if you're going to run the engine any amount.
          Last edited by Sargehere; 11-08-2012, 03:18 AM.
          Gerry Lyons #607
          http://www.37ul.com/
          http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

I agree Sarge, I just figured that I would keep what I could, if it wasn't worn out. Having built lots of these, I realize the importance of logical upgrades, but I didn't know about the slight size differences. Just wanted to share this, not having seen or read anything about it. I didn't feel too bad about putting the sealed drive gear in it, the garage floor appreciates it too.

Steve
            Steve

Comment

The bush is still available NOS in Europe,but it ain't cheap at $37.

Comment

Working...
              X